Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Webbo! I've clicked something!

edited January 2015 in Writing
I thought, for once, I'd send an online entry for a writing competition. I managed to get all the way to the button which said 'Upload entry'. I clicked on it, expecting a form to come up, but what I saw were these things (which, handily, I wrote down):

f[1].txt f[2].txt log[1].txt log[2].txt

I had no idea what they meant. So, I thought, click on one to find out... I clicked on the first one to see what it was and then, in an instant, received a message to say that my entry had been received! No, it hasn't! I didn't give it to you. And I'm only allowed to enter once!

Bleat, bleat. :((

What should I do next?

It's telling me I have already entered. Can you tell your computer that I haven't and wipe away the error?

Comments

• Just had a confirmation email that says I have 'uploaded a file for Writers-Online Writing Competitions - Animal Poem Competition called C:\Websites\Live\Quantum\Quantum Admin\uploads\f[1].txt'

Oh dear. I'm not fit to be let loose.
  • C:\Websites\Live\Quantum\Quantum Admin\uploads\f[1].txt'
    It's not a catchy title TN :)
  • You don't think so, Johnny? I think it has a ring of 007 about it...
  • TN, have you flagged your message?
  • Ooh, no, Carol.
    Would that be a bit dramatic, do you think, like dialling 999 for a splinter?
  • edited January 2015
    I'll flag it for you, otherwise it could be days before it's seen. The system may not have cleared someone else's entry, or duplicated their submission...
  • That's very kind. Thank you, Carol. @};-
  • Hope it gets sorted quickly, TN.
  • Curious!
    When it's asking you for a file, it's from your local PC, not the server, so I think those documents f1.txt etc must be somewhere on your system - nothing sinister, I'm sure there are files all over most of our hard drives we don't look at and don't recognise - email me the correct file ([email protected]) and I'll swap it here.
  • Isn't webbo lovely?
  • Delightful.
  • That did make me laugh TN! If you hadn't flagged it, they would have been really wondering over the skill of your poetry writing...
  • Thanks, Webbo. You're my hero! (*)
  • I've sent it!!!
  • Good luck!
  • Are you entering, heather?
  • No - I'm not a subscriber anymore so am not allowed.
    And also have never written an animal poem, and know little about them, so probably not my forte.
  • Phew... I mean, what a shame!
  • Hahaha.
    Though I hardly think you would have needed to worry anyway!
  • LizLiz
    edited January 2015
    Aha, found the right thread, but it still doesn't tell me...

Dear Webbo, I entered yesterday, but all I got was a message saying 'you have to be a subscriber of Writing Magazine to enter this competition'.

Well, I am a subscriber... and have had no email sent saying I have entered.

So - could you possibly check for me? Sorry!

UPDATE!!! It accepted me the second time of trying, so sorry to alert you to my non-problem!
  • Did you enter the correct password, Liz? Mine are different for this forum and for WM online comps.
  • Mine are the same. But my name is different, it still has the exclamation.

I'll try again I think and log in again. I did use the tab from the day before...
  • AHA!!! It worked, this time I got a box saying you have successfully entered. thank goodness, I did log in last time but it may have been because I used an old tab.

*And relax*

Thanks, Nell.

Sorry, Webbo.
  • Hurrah! Sorry, just remembered I had to come back to this post and answer you! And the fates have answered for me.
  • Thank goodness that is sorted before Webbo escapes the office for the weekend.

Are we ready for the weekend spam?
  • *girds loins*

*and everything else*

• Are we ready for the weekend spam?
    Don't worry, I'm on Spam Alert this weekend.
    [-X

Tam
  • Yay, Tam!
  • Three cheers for Tam watching for Spam.
  • And then we don't get any- unless TAM zapped it before we saw it. :)
  • Can't help wonder who TAM is.

It must be a Talkbacker.
  • Can't help wonder who TAM is.

It must be a Talkbacker.
    TAM is a Talkback Moderator - another member of staff who keeps an eye on us when Webbo is away. :)