Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Cue spotty book with hand-made paper pages...

edited January 2015 in Writing
Exciting times.

Ideas, words and visions have been brewing for months and months, but I kept them in my head - and consequently forgot a lot. Today I found myself jotting them down into my special book, the one where all my children's book ideas have begun their journey as mad scribblings. I only write in here when I believe that there's a new book on its way. My thoughts have made it into the back, a tentative approach, but still a commitment. When they appear at the front in a more organised format, I'm in business! It feels imminent...

How do you prepare for the birth of a new book?

Comments

• When the ideas and characters have formed a coherent pattern to me, and I have to start writing.

About ten minutes ago I had a thought about one of my ideas- that idea was about four years ago. I thought it would be an historical, but the aspect today suggested how it could be contemporary.

It just needs more time, and will go into the queue...
  • Do you start straight away on Chapter One, Carol, or do you make notes first?
  • Sometimes I do if I've seen that scene in my mind.

I make notes about each of the main characters, and if I have the whole story in my mind then I do chapter outlines, and a synopsis.

The story I'm writing now hasn't had the same degree of planning, so I have a more general outline, and I know where certain scenes will probably go. In this case I am always writing the next few scenes in my head before I commit them to the keyboard- and that's where they change slightly.

Because we each work in a different way, I think we need to trust our instincts more. We know when something isn't working and needs to be changed or put aside.

You shouldn't worry about doing something differently for a change- some stories just need that change to work.
  • I open up notepad write down the ideas, I even try and give the book a title. Then the more ideas that pop into mind, I just jot them down into that file. Got 7 ideas brewing, some may never come to anything but who knows? I am writing a novel at the moment and do not know how it will end. I just write as I go along.
  • Well I havn't got a system yet. I tend to write and then get to a point where I think it's terrible and give up!
    At the moment I have a few ideas and I've started writing but I'm not happy with it so I've taken a step back and I'm reading a book on writing to help.
    My main problem is finding names for my characters I still can't think of any and I've looked on baby names websites.
    I never know how much to plan but not planning doesn't seem to work either I'm hoping this book I'm reading about writing from the middle will help a bit- in fact I should probably go read that now so I won't feel too guilty about not writing much
  • Yes, we all have individual approaches. You could give your characters an initial letter until you think of suitable names, Jen. I love names. I think of them instantaneously and never change from my first thought!
  • And my characters tell me if I give them the wrong name. :)
  • I had to change some character names when I was putting my stories into a collection as some were used more than once for main characters. It was quite painful!
  • Oh, yes. I had to do that, heather. There was one man's name I had been rather fond of and had used in more than one story. I hated changing it as I had got used to him with that name!
  • edited January 2015
    You could have a character named Stanley!