Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

HELP! Have to write a bio by lunchtime...

LizLiz
edited January 2015 in Writing
Forgot I have to write a bio for a festival I'm going to be in Newcastle. Eclectic Iron it's called, by Iron Press.

Do you know... i am stumped. Waves stump. Can't think what to put. I think there is something wrong with my creative boing.

Comments

• Done it. I became unstumped once i started writing. Realised i do have stuff to put down...
  • File it, Liz. You can tweak it for other occasions.

I've got several bios - first person, third person, specific word counts, with/without links, etc, etc.
  • Really? I must have a few, but whenever I search all I get is ages old stuff.
  • I could never come up with anything on the spot. My memory's too bad. I also keep a type of CV with every competition success.
  • Wow. i am too disorganised!
  • Start it now!
  • I've just put 'bio' in the title. Then if I ask Mac to find 'Bio', she will next time I ask. Then i just click on it and it appears on my desktop.

There's no way i will get organised! But I do have bios on my blog and on my website, and in various leaflets for things lying around. And now on my system.
  • I could never come up with anything on the spot. My memory's too bad. I also keep a type of CV with every competition success.
    I have a folder marked 'Bios', a folder marked 'Published stuff' and separate folders for different magazines/competitions... whatever. I have such a bad memory, this is the only way I can work. It's really not hard to get into the habit of putting work/important information into folders, Liz, and it will save you a lot of angst.
  • Oh, well, you see, I have a gazillion folders. Folders inside folders. The more folders I get the more I find it tricky to find them. So I have a general 'Publishing' folder and everything goes in there.
  • I keep a list of different length bios as at one time I seemed to be asked for them a lot. I try to send something a bit different each time though - even if sometime it's the same thing in a different order!
  • edited January 2015
    Just call a new folder (inside Publishing) 'Admin' - or something similar.