Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Speed reading

edited January 2015 in Writing
Hi All,

I wonder how much you read. I'm a bloody slow reader and I also suffer from a terrible time shortage. I saw a survey on Facebook asking how much the group members read and most people said they read 100-300 books a year. I. just. do. not. believe. that!
So I thought I would look up some stuff about speed reading in Google. There are courses, not as if I had any time to attend them. But you know the joke when Woody Allen said he's done a speed reading course and then read the War and Peace in one day. Conclusion: it involves Russia.
Well, I'm the same. I've tried speed reading at home and I managed to understand nothing from the book.
How are you with this?
Tagged:

Comments

• I would not want to speed read, it would take the enjoyment out of it for me.

I tend to read a book a fortnight on average I guess and I'm happy with that.
  • I read a book a day or so sometime... maybe not every day, so probably about 200. I have thousands. Some from the library to save money, some borrowed.
  • How the hell do you do that, Liz?
  • I'd guess I average about a book a week, or 50 a year.
  • I guessed wrong! As I typed that I remembered I could check how many library books I'd borrowed. In 2014 it was 66. There were a few I didn't finish, but mostly I did and I've read books on kindle and which I've bought too.

I read for a couple of hours a day - again on average. I believe some people spend as long as that watching TV.
  • I don't know. I work full time at being a poet and have time to read - you can't be a writer and not read. A lot. I read at any time I'm not doing anything else. All evening, while on here or watching TV. Or, half watching TV.
  • When I trod the employment treadmill (banking) and then when I ran my own retail/service business for 6 years (17 hours a day) I'd read on the beach for a few hours a year.

Now, because (other people's) literature is my business, I read more than ever- but not in a disposable way. Speed reading is useful for the paper, or reports, but, if we're reading to become better writers, it's the difference between necking Frosty Jack's cider on a park bench and savouring a fine wine.

I find that, with serious or literary fiction, two readings are the minimum, to see under the bonnet.
  • I think you can absorb without doing two readings, unless you are trying to analyse someone's story mechanics.

But I agree wholly about the type of book, it definitely influences the way you write afterwards, although if I'm about to write a poem for a book called 'A Sea Creature Ate my Teacher' I read a lot of frivolous and funny poems. If for a book called 'Moon, Myths and Magic' I'd choose something deeper and lyrical.
  • Most of my reading time is on my commute. I stick to "easy reading" books for this as I just need something to take the edge off the monotony (I'm lapping up Carlos Ruiz Zafon at the moment, brilliant!) I tend to get through around three a week.
    I keep my "heavy" reading to home where I can eradicate all noise, curl up with a glass of wine or a mug of tea and indulge. I don't get as much time as I'd like for this, I guess I average about a book a week.
  • I can gobble up a book in a day or two if I love it, reading at every opportunity, but then I feel sorry that it was all over so quickly. Otherwise, I just tend to read in bed, when the day is done and I can relax. Those books can take anything from a week, depending on how quickly I fall asleep. I read a lot in a year, but I haven't kept count. I know I've left lots of reviews, but not for everything. I always leave them for good books, less so for mediocre ones.
  • I have weeks when I don't read, then will have a spell where I'll read 2-3 books in a week.
  • I love reading, it all depends what I'm reading if I'll read every day. I have books on my kindle and I'm often reading more books at once. I only have one right now as I'm waiting for one to be delivered. I'm making a record of books I read this year to see how many I read in a year, I'm hoping to read more and write more too.
    But I do have days where I don't read but I can't go long without reading I'll have withdrawal I'm a bookworm
  • I 'read' about 50 a year for pleasure, but because I have to read millions of words for work I have them as audio books and listen as I walk the dogs / drive the car / wash up etc.
  • I like to listen to 'A Book at Bedtime' on Radio 4 at 10.45 pm Monday-Friday.

They have old and new books, so I get to hear books that I just wouldn't persevere with reading otherwise.
  • So, is that serialised, Carol? It's a bit late for me - plus it would be irritating to miss one!
  • Speed-reading a great book would be like speed-eating five courses at Noma. It isn't a rushed pleasure.
  • I know what you're getting at, Balazs, and it's been a constant regret of mine. I used to know a colleague who could devour two novels a day while she was on holiday, but my technique of reading is slow and ponderous, even if I'm loving the book.
    But like Liz says, I love savouring the mechanics of the artist as I go. You know the old notion of the book triangle: author, work of art and reader, all needing each other.
  • Mutley, what do you do exactly, if you don't mind me asking?
  • Yeah, I get it, Dwight. I just constantly hate not having enough time.
  • Sorry Balazs I've only just seen your question I set up Alfie Dog Fiction www.alfiedog.com. I read and edit all submissions that are published - we now publish over 1600 short stories.
  • Thanks for sharing, Mutley. How is this related to speed reading?
  • You asked in relation to my comment about reading millions of words for work so having switched to audio books for pleasure.