Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

fanfic

edited February 2015 in Writing
Hi All,

Has anyone written fan fiction?
I have a great (I think) idea but I don't know if I need permission from the original author to use the characters/world etc. Is it plagiarism?
Thanks.
Tagged:

Comments

• I don't know if I need permission from the original author to use the characters/world etc.
    Yes, you do.

• Generally yes, but there are a lot of online groups that write fan-fic, and dependent on whose original characters/franchise it is, will depend upon how accepted that is- it can be a source of ideas for their official scripts.

But publishing it yourself would be a completely different thing.

I have a friend at the writers groups- I'm there tonight- who has written fan-fic for some years, so could ask what the current situation is. If it's a specific franchise/character, can you DM asap, and I'll ask what she knows about it.
  • Thanks, Moll and Carol.
    Sorry, I missed it, Carol but I appreciate you're efforts.
    I dreamed up a little story which work perfectly in the Harry Potter world but if that's something I can't use I'll put it in a different environment.
  • Always worth keeping hold of any fan fiction you write. It may just be the thing's I'm a fan of, but, there are often competitions for fan fiction run by the original publishers etc.
  • Thanks for the tip, Johnny.
    I've just googled 'Harry Potter fan fiction'. There are tons of websites collecting tens of thousands of HP fanfic stories. I doubt they all emailed JKR for permission. Maybe they should have but I guess JKR doesn't mind.
  • How would you feel if you were to open up a magazine and read a story set in your fictional location and involving your characters but written by someone else?
    I dreamed up a little story which work perfectly in the Harry Potter world but if that's something I can't use I'll put it in a different environment.
    Anything Harry Potter related is to be avoided. But there's nothing to stop you creating an alternate environment.

• How would you feel if you were to open up a magazine and read a story set in your fictional location and involving your characters but written by someone else?
    I've thought of that, plus I wouldn't take the risk so I would email her anyway if I decide to go ahead with the story.
    Anything Harry Potter related is to be avoided. But there's nothing to stop you creating an alternate environment.

I actually started with a different one, it just fits very well with HP. But it's still an option.
  • I read somewhere that '50 shades' started life on a fan-fic site that was loosely based on the 'Twilight' series. Apparently readers devoured the tales and kept asking for more until a publisher eventually noted its popularity - the rest is history.