Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

500 word competition

edited February 2015 in Writing
Back from a morning session with years 5 & 6 at the excellent Primary School opposite me. Got them motivated with ideas for stories, and discussed eye catching first line, and titles. I used my own work and some of the best 2014 entries to illustrate. I found the younger group more proactive and had more inspiration, but well worth the preparation and effort. Now waiting see if at least one gets into the top 50. Only about 3000 to beat!

Comments

• Well done, toothlight.
  • Sounds good, Toothlight!
  • Took back to the school some entries I was asked to look at and make suggestions (helpful I hope). Some basics needed, ie speech quotation marks, but it was fun, and I left with some pupils hammering the school computers to load the stories onto the 500 word website. If I 'm honest (having read nearly most of the top 50 for 2014),only about three have a sporting chance. On the positive side is knowing neither I or the teachers re-wrote the stories, and I doubt parents did either, unless they were published authors like the parents of the overall winner, a girl of only nine years!
  • There must be some push parents who have interfered with their child's entry.
  • Dora, I was trying to be kind! Realistically, I bet most parents helped their children