Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Writing Music

edited February 2015 in Writing
I'm just wondering who else writes with a musical soundtrack or do you need silence to write? And for those of us that do listen to music what type and why?

I usually use music to motivate me at the start of a writing session or to get me in the right mood, I tend to have some go to playlists for it depending on the mood.

Comments

• No, music is out. I need silence to write.

I don't know how writers who use music while they write can do it.

I wonder if it's to do with me, or just the genre the writing.
  • Silence. I can't think of anything else when music is playing.
  • And I thought you were talking about writing music as opposed to writing words! The subject interested me because I did try to write music when I was younger, but was always more successful with lyrics (it's difficult to write a tune on a set of drums!).

To get back on topic, I sometimes have music on while I'm writing. My musical taste is very varied, but when I'm at the computer I tend to listen to female singers as Rock music would be too much of a distraction. These days I tend to find myself listening to Shakira while at the computer, but that may change any time.
  • I too thought the thread was about writing music.
  • edited February 2015
    Personally, when it comes to music playing in the background when writing; I'm indifferent. A few months ago I wrote with Pandora (website) playing, a few weeks back I wrote in a silence, and now I'm listening to the local classical radio station as I write. For the most part; I tend to write without music, but ever since I've been listening to more and more classical music, it all just sort of becomes white noise to me, and now I hardly even notice the music anymore.

As a side; I've found that when it comes to writing a very emotional scene, or if I want to write something poetic / sweet, then I will play a particular song that evokes a certain emotional response within me. I often find that this aids to my ability to write.
  • Silence as far as music is concerned, but sometimes i have the TV on low in the background - one of the other rooms. The words in a general not hearable hubbub I find slightly stimulating.
  • Silence, definitely.
  • Once I'm deeply immersed in something I can tolerate background TV noise, but I never deliberately put music on to write to. My preference is silence!