Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Not sure I want them

edited March 2015 in Writing
I have often heard the phrase "rippling muscles" and never really thought about it. In fact, like most people, I've probably accepted it as a description of some hulking thug/bouncer or other well defined male specimen. I've never heard of a woman so described.

However, thinking about the phrase I realised that those with bulked up or steroid fed muscles, don't have them ripple. They are often as hard as rock and only move slowly in conjunction with other such sized muscles.

There is a medical condition where one's muscles do ripple, usually involuntarily but I don't believe it is a condition limited to body builder types. http://www.rightdiagnosis.com/r/rippling_muscle_disease/intro.htm

So maybe the next time we think about using the phrase as the new Ross Poldark is currently being referred to, we should probably think again, unless we are describing someone's affliction.
http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/leisure/national/11838556.Find_out_the_secret_to_Poldark_star_Aidan_Turner_s_rippling_muscles/

Comments

• Interesting, the.writer - I would never use this phrase, too much of a cliche! :)
  • Like Claudia, I probably wouldn't have used the expression anyway, but it hadn't occurred to me how innapropriate it was.

Cliches are odd. Sometimes they so accurately describe something it's clear to see why they're over used, but in other cases they don't make much sense. eg as skinny as a rake - rakes aren't particularly skinny. The handles are fairly thin, but no skinnier than those of most other types of garden tool (Or could I be thinking of the wrong type of rake?) And are cucumbers, which need warm weather to grow, really any cooler than other fruits and vegetables?
  • Claudia/Phots Moll
    agree with your comments re clichés and many may not use them but the reason I raised the discussion in the first place was prompted when I was seeking out my next book to read. I started a book by an author who has published at least 6 well liked crime fiction books and I was dissuaded from going further when this very cliché became the final straw in what I found was uninteresting flowery prose in the prologue. II may go back to it one day but for now, I've chosen something else to read.
  • I would never use that expression! Not without laughing anyway.
  • Rippling muscles - like bare chests on covers. Hokum!
  • edited March 2015
    I have censored my own post
  • Dora, my mind is boggling!
  • I have censored my own post
    What have you done with the real Dora? :D

• edited March 2015
    *considers response*

Well, PM, it was about meat.

Nuff said.

What have you done with the real Dora? :D

Carol, I couldn't possibly comment.

• Rippling muscles is quite a old cliche, but muscles can ripple - my sons can do it, it's a matter of control. Whether steroid-induced ones can, I have no idea.

But I suspect that the image word doesn't refer to movement, but the undulation of the definition of the muscles, and as such it is a perfectly apposite description.

The excellent writers here though would be well able to find other descriptions.
  • Liz, that sounds like a challenge for the forum.

What ways could you use to describe the body of a stereotypically muscle bound bouncer type?

As for your son, if Opportunity Knocks were still around on TV, he may be able to take the winning slot away from Tony Holland -
  • I'd always imagined the 'ripple' not as a movement, but as an effect, very much like the ripples in sand or on water - lines, contours, troughs. Thinking about it, they do move beneath the skin, making it rise and fall, so there is some justification for the image.

Having said that, yes, it's an over-used cliche, as everyone here will agree.

*oils body and flexes biceps*
  • "That doorman was built like he'd got the Andes rising up under the sleeves of his suit jacket." ?

:(|)
  • LizLiz
    edited March 2015
    He looked like his biceps... I can't go on. Just noticed this is an open thread. N, can you cull my name?
  • edited March 2015
    !
  • edited March 2015
    Yes, well... little wonder you used the edit facility Ms Liz! Now go and have a cold shower.
    :\">
  • I was speechless. The damage to my sensitive nature was already done :O
  • I couldn't watch that vid. I felt sick.

Halfway through turned it off.
  • Sorry everyone - I should have put a warning with the video.
  • I can remember that bloke on Opportunity Knocks. :-j
  • I never even noticed the video, it was Liz's edited comment that got me. Too late lol
  • *chuckles*
  • I wasn't around at the time so I missed it. Bugger.

As for rippling muscles - I can't stand even to look at those poseurs.

It's the same with over-inflated boobs - I find them disgusting and un-lovely.
  • edited March 2015
    Oh dear

*takes half an hour to squeeze self through door while peering over, over-inflated boobs*

Looks like I'd best leave then, Lizy

• Now it seems we are getting personal. Maybe its time for a new thread or something.