Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

blog platforms

edited March 2015 in - Resources
Thinking of setting up a blog or website to put work up on. Ideally would like to keep most of it secure/private and make some finished bits public. Not interested in having to do too much technical stuff, and don't want adverts etc popping up on site.
What does everyone else use? I've used wordpress, livejournal and blogspot for work, but looking for something as simple as possible - both to use, and to read.

Comments

• Try WIX free and no technical ability required.
  • Blogger might suffice - you can select who can view it.
  • I use blogger. You don't have to have any adverts, it's free and so simple I can use it!

Just curious - why do you want a private blog? Not saying you shouldn't have one if that's what you want, but I've alwys thought the point of a blog was to make your thoughts public.
  • PM has voiced my thoughts too.

With blogger you can specify that it's content is only suitable for over 18's- say it has gory horror content for example.
    Or you can make it that only certain people are able to access it, but that does require active decision making on your part so those people know about it and join up.
  • Its quite handy to use as cloud storage. I have some private pages with submission records on, etc.
  • I have private blogs - they're a useful way of sharing info, like a private newsletter.
  • Ah, hadn't thought of that, Baggy. Yes, they could be used for a club or group to discuss things or share info.

Robert, I think with blogger you'd have to have the whole thing either private or public. You can change the staus but as far as I now you can't have some parts private and some public. You can have more than one blog though so could set each one up differently.
  • On WordPress you can select whether a page or post is privately published or publicly published - Blogger might have this too?
  • Thanks for all the ideas. The reason for a private blog is that you can choose who can subscribe to or read some posts, but keep some private. Want to share work with a few people to get feedback etc, and only put writing as public when it is absolutely finished. Could probably set up two blogs though if I needed to. Think I've decided to go with penzu for my own work, and then just set up a public blog somewhere - never heard of Wix - will check it out.
  • Wordpress is my pet. It's multi-function design and behind the scenes layout allows for future expansion. (Eg a place to sell your books) It is more than just a blog, you can get plug-ins that will allow you to cross post to other platforms (I use one for Tumblr) Mail shots, and many things. You can choose your layout and theme. You don't need to do all these things to start with, it's user friendly so you can grow (and learn) as you need.
  • That's what i use, for the same reasons. It's extremely stable, easy to use, and I don't think my blog looks like everyone else's.

I also don't like the way Blogger fixes it so people can't comment on all the blog designs. Really does my head in.