Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

My website.

edited March 2015 in Writing
Hello all, a few weeks back it was suggested that I should get a website, I agreed and here we are.

http://callumdevereux.com/

The website is pretty much done, and the only thing that needs to be added is an image of myself on the front page. Before I send it out to the internet, I was hoping to get everyone's opinion on it. So, what do you think? It's quite bland, isn't it? I don't know, it's kind of growing on me. Anyway, my blogs are going to serve as a... well, it's a blog. I read over some of, Mrs Bear's, blogs and hers were very different to my own. My blogs are really nothing more than glorified diary entries. MB's, on the other hand, are more educational; more interesting and less self indulgent than mine. What do you guys think? I mean, I only started to do these daily blogs so I would have a permanent online presence, but now I think I might have gone down the wrong path with it all.

Comments

• edited March 2015
    Hello,

Not bad for a start, but I think you could make it much better. Maybe it's just my personal preference, but what I miss are:
    -Photo, which you've mentioned
    -Social media links
    -Newsletter subscribe button
    -Much more pictures and visual stuff that attract the readers' eyes
    -Colours

Regarding your About page,
    It doesn't tell me why you've made this blog and it doesn't tell me how I can benefit from reading this blog. What is the blog about?
    "See, a writer is what I want to be" - This is really good, you seem determined.
    "a writer that is published… please, publish me, someone; anyone" - This is really bad, you seem desperate.

About your posts,
    There is a rule that all bloggers must know: Readers don't care about you, they only care about themselves.
    So each post must do at least one of two things: provide useful information, or entertain.

I think a home page that is more welcoming and interesting would also be useful; it would decrease your bounce rate, which represents the percentage of visitors who enter the site and "bounce" (leave the site) rather than continue viewing other pages within the same site. (Wikipedia)

My intention wasn't to discourage you, It's just my opinion. You're definitely on the right track. It's worth reading about how build a blog and how to run it; there are countless articles on it online.

Good Luck! ;)
  • Having landed on the home page, I'd not look further, it doesn't give me anything that might make me want to explore.
  • edited March 2015
    Balazs, I know it seems desperate... it's because I am. I'm an author, one that is unpublished, so of course I'm desperate; I don't have a job. I'm only being honest. Sure, I could have spewed out some nonsense about what aspires me to write, and how I want to change the world or something pretentious like that - that's just not who I am. I think my blogs are entertaining, to an extent; would like some conformation on this.

Social links are on the home page, bottom left, but they should be made more clear. Also, in regards to my About not explaining why I made this blog; it doesn't explain that because this is not a blogging website, this is my website full-stop. It shouldn't have to explained, and the blog is only a side attraction. The main purpose of the website is letting publishing houses find out a little about me and my style of writing; more importantly, it's a place that allows them to get in contact with me ect.

More pictures, though, for sure. Colour as well, that could do wonders. Thanks for the suggestions.
  • edited March 2015
    Not a problem, mate. You've asked for opinion, just read Carol's. You can keep going down this route and no publishing house will want to contact you, unless your writings are very good, but then, they will make you redo your website before willing to publish anything. I don't mean to be rude, just honest. We all have things to learn and work on. No need to get defensive, I'm just telling this to you as a reader.
  • Balazs has taken the time to give you some good advice and constructive criticism, tearsinrain. As he said: you asked for opinions. You need to grow a thicker skin if you're going to embark on a writing career - stop being defensive and stop taking things so personally, because rejection and criticism go with the territory I'm afraid.
  • TIR, everyone blogs according to their lights - you can't compare content. (Though thanks for looking in at my blog!)
    There are differences: I have my posts running consecutively, not in parallel: I use a larger font; and I use photos. Text (and particularly grey text) on its own doesn't draw the eye; stick something visually interesting up there, and people may linger longer. There is a very short time in which to grab a reader before they flip to the next blog on the list - you've really got to go out to hold them for long enough to want to read on.
    As you're going with text, you should make sure it's punctuated/edited properly - you're using this as your shop window as a writer, so it should be as good as you can get. And no, I'm not perfect - BB spotted an error in my post yesterday, and I spotted another that I corrected before anyone noticed.
    'returns to being warm not soon after.' - do you mean 'soon after?' Have another look through what you have written - put it into large print somewhere and you'll see errors more clearly.
    Use tags so that people will find you when they search; if you can't think of any, maybe your content needs tightening up and acquiring a theme for each piece.
    Everyone's blog is self-indulgent to an extent: we're all writing about what we want to write about, after all - this is unforced work. Keep in mind what it is you're trying to achieve, and do it in the best way possible. You're just starting out: you know you have a lot to learn. So have I - I'm no expert at all, and I've been blogging for a few years now.
    Think of a bookshop: which would you rather have - one where all the book covers are white (as in literary French publications) or one where there are colours and artwork, and a clue to what's inside the cover of each book? I know which I prefer.
  • I like minimal but it was a little too minimal - definitely throw a few pictures in there.

Also, it's quite daunting being presented with such a large "wall of text".

As Mrs Bear said, maybe have your posts running consecutively, rather than all over the page.

Good luck mate!
  • Hi, Had a quick look and it just lacks some color, on you books page perhaps put some of the books you like to read and some famous quotes.Don't be shy to put you own photo's on . Asking about being publish leave it that's you and what make a character. I on the other had was told my website was to busy. So what! I like it and after all how many books am I going to sell from my own website? the chances of people going onto an authors website are slim unless you become well known and when that happens I will worry about how my website looks then. I do not even have a blog on my site. you can always find out how well your site is doing by going to www.who.is
  • edited March 2015
    Interesting replies, everyone. Also, I'm not offended by the suggestions made at all, and sorry if I came off this way. MB, I think I meant to write 'not soon after that'. I agree, I don't like the format, but apparently it will sort itself out once I post a picture, so I guess I'll see what happens. Once again, thanks for the replies everyone! I'll take them all into careful consideration as I continue to work on my website :)

As a side MB, I remember spotting an error... I think it was a word duplicate? Or maybe it was a word missing. Sorry, I've actually forgotten where it was :/ I probably should have jotted down a mental note.
  • edited March 2015
    I've just had a look, tearsinrain, and my personal opinion is that you're right - it IS bland. There is nothing - yet - to grab the attention.

I also think that there are too many words - a picture or two would break that up.

The occasional personal bits are okay but I wouldn't return to what amounts to a diary unless you were an adventurer!

Shorter is better.

But you've made a start, which is good.
  • edited March 2015
    I'm an adventurer at heart! Lizy, when you say personal bits, what are you referring to specifically? Because the whole concept of the blog (like the first one states) is that I want touch on the writing experience. I.E. a line I struggled with, ect. Are you saying that this isn't something I should do?

edit: I glanced over the three posts, I think you are talking about the parts where I talk about my work ect, right? I seemed to go into a lot of detail over things that don't really have anything to do with the writing process itself. In my defense, I did this so as to add more of an entertainment value - after all, there are only so many things you can say about writing before you start repeating yourself. Honestly, did you the parts where I wasn't talking about writing interesting at all? Or should I just not bother with getting that personal?
  • If you're going to blog then decide what your blog is going to be about, but as Balazs mentioned it needs something about you the writer, not just your writing.

None of us get it right first time, it will always be a work in progress until we get the right mix.

Good luck.
  • Carol, isn't "me the writer" classified as personal bits that, Lizy, told me I should focus less on? Now I'm confused D: brain.no.work.goodly.
  • Don't know if anyone else has said this, TIR, but a good rule to stick to is two, at the most three sentence paragraphs.

You have block paragraphs. No-one reads those.

Information has to be in tiny, bite-size chunks.

Each of your paragraphs could say the same thing in fewer words. I'd see how much you can précis each of those paragraphs and watch how quickly your writing becomes more interesting. I'd aim for two short sentences.
  • I suppose the look could be described as bland - but it does put the focus on the content which is surely what's important?

I wouldn't try to copy someone else's style or format. By all means try adding photos, having shorter chunks of writing and all the other suggestions, but only keep what you're happy with. This site and blog is for you and your readers - what works brilliantly for someone else could be wrong for you.

• One thing you could do to improve your website, is take a look at the blogs of everyone who has stopped by to read your blog and then since taken further time to give you advice on this thread.

Support those people by following them.

Take note of how those other bloggers design and maintain their blogs. See what works and what doesn't for other bloggers.

• You have block paragraphs. No-one reads those.
    Good point, Liz.
  • I think that if someone is really interested in another person, then they will take the time and have the energy to devour every word on that person's website. However, to be that person of interest takes time.

I'm sure what you have written is very interesting, tir, but I have to concur with what's been said. I am a little weary right now - and that laziness inhibits me from reading too far into what you have written as it seems like hard work at the moment while I'm in this state of mind. Little snippets/images/various fonts & colours would have caught my attention better on a first viewing.

I think you have to bear in mind that visitors to website are only stopping for a cursory glance at first. If it floats their boat, they'll stay and peruse; otherwise, there are plenty of other websites to lay their hats.
  • Fair points being made, thanks. Dora, I'll be sure to do that, too. Be more concise with the words I use; got it.