Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

SPELLING LOGIC

edited March 2015 in Writing
I used to get 10/10 for spelling every time, but since learning Spanish I get it wrong sometimes. They don't do double letters very often, and use 'cion' instead of 'tion' for example. Their way of spelling has started to look right and it's certainly more logical. So when spellcheck underlines a word I've typed I'm not usually surprised.

I was today. I had to get the Collins out to check.

Restaurants apparently are owned by restaurateurs.
No 'N'
Where's the logic in that?

Comments

• I've just finished working on an American book. I wasn't keen on the idea, but the chappy had been recommended to me so I offered to provide a few pages to see how it worked. Seems it worked fine - and he was chuffed to bits when I returned the complete book. Me? Totally frazzled.

In the past I've converted American to English, but this was my first 'American' book.

Yee ha!

<):)
  • It's not logic, Lizy, it's French.
  • edited March 2015
    The French version is restaurer but it comes from the latin restaura which means "to restore".
    Google: early 19th century: from French, from restaurer ‘provide food for’ (literally ‘restore to a former state’).
    BTW English is the least logical language I've met so far, in terms of pronunciation at least. All languages have their own silly attributes of course.
  • I know exactly what you mean, Lizy. Spanish spelling is so phonetic and logical, whereas English...! 8-|
  • On the rare occasions I have spoken the word used above I always inserted the N.
    Another one is poinsetta, which I always thought was pointsettia.
  • What about fuchsia for heaven's sake.
  • Quite. They are always full of wasps.
  • I thought that was those pompon dahlias - or perhaps it's earwigs they're full of?
  • It is earwigs Lizy.
  • Why why whyyyyyy Delilah!
  • edited March 2015
    Spelling, dora dear, spelling!
  • *rummages in undergarments for wand*
  • is that a euphemism?
  • rummaging in undergarments :) more euphoric than euphemism >:D<
  • LizLiz
    edited March 2015
  • Liz's full stop is a euphemism for what she really wanted to say and thought better of.
  • LizLiz
    edited March 2015
    I was thinking about euphs in underpants. I think maro is younger than us.
    I am definitely too old. i no longer even think of underpants.
  • As long as you wear them, Liz?
  • OH yes.
  • What have I walked in on? :O
  • Don't look Ethel!
  • Is that another degeneration of a thread I spy?
  • I wish I didn't have to think of them, Liz, but with three euphs in my house, I have no option but to see them all the blinkin' time!
  • My son washes his own now. I do have to see OH's. i've bought him some pretty ones so my life has a little more sparkle.

Your time will come, dora.
  • Remember those wooden tongs for taking washing out of the boiler?

They'd be really handy for transferring men's underpants from linen bin to washing machine, wouldn't they?

And socks.
  • You mean - other people don't still use those?

Actually, I'm not sure what's wrong with my men but nothing they take off seems to be dirty. Sometimes i wonder if they are just wearing one set of clothes over and over and giving me the clean stuff to wash.
  • edited March 2015
    My mum used to have those tongs. We also used to have summat called a 'copper' which would get filled with hot water.

• My mum did too- she had this washer that had a big tub and beside it a spinner, you used the tongs to take the washing out of the washer into the spinner, put a round rubber mat on top of the washing, put the lid down, pressed a button and it went on for as long as you liked.
  • In fact she got a new washing machine in the early 70s, a Meile, that lasted until 1999, when she bought a new one. Only owned those 3 machines her whole life. Pete's mum, when I first met her in 1981, still had the same machine my mum had.
  • I had a twin tub until 1996.
    I had to wheel it in front of the sink to fill and empty it, and when it spun it danced all over the kitchen unless I sat on it. The vibration was - according to the women's magazines of the era - good for reducing cellulite.