Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Hand written notes

edited April 2015 in Writing
Would you keep old copies of legal pads full of the novel you have written, even though it is all on computer now. I have boxes full of notepads and I'm not sure whether to just get rid of them.

Comments

• I'd hang on until it's published, mandy - you never know when you might want to refer back before then. What if something goes awry with the compiling and you lose a crucial page or two? If you have back-ups of your work, you don't really need all this stuff, do you? If you've got research notes that could be useful elsewhere, or plot ideas that could find a new home, and they're not on the computer, keep them. Otherwise it's just more paper to be a fire hazard.
  • I'd keep them. It's nice to re-read handwritten notes, irrespective of them being copied elsewhere. They evoke the emotion of the time - where you were when you wrote them etc.
  • They'll be worth a fortune when you're a best seller!
  • A bit time consuming, but why not scan them, mandy?
  • Thank you everyone. I have typed all of them on to the computer but I wasn't sure whether to keep the notes just to prove it's my work if ever challenged, however the box takes up half a walk in cupboard. I think I may have to be ruthless and cull the lot. :-)
  • Not sure it would be proof - you could copy out a book written by someone else if you wanted to.
  • After I've typed mine I bin them page by page.
    They're half-crossed out anyay and reading them once while I type them up is bad enough.
    I do print a hard copy, though, and keep that, along with research notes.
  • That sounds a good idea Lizy. I think I will do that and clear some space in my cupboard xxx
  • That's what I thought Phots Mol but someone at my creative writing group said I should keep them but it's spring and I feel the need to clear the house :-)