Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Prayer

edited April 2015 in Writing
I was at the monthly lunch of the Probus Club in Bangor, and a new member was asked to give the prayer before the meal commenced. It was the best, concise one I've ever heard:
"Thank God.......Food." As I was asked to give the loyal toast, and as the members know my views of Charlie and Camilla, they were not surprised to hear: "Ladies and Gentlemen, the Queen. Long may she reign."

Comments

• Haha, both excellent speeches.
  • Short and to the point. Gets round all that fiddling with the cutlery when you all just want to get to the good stuff.
  • Cheers!
  • My Dad always had a good prayer he used to say before a roast.

"Good wine, good food, good lord, let's eat!'
  • I was at the monthly lunch of the Probus Club in Bangor, and a new member was asked to give the prayer before the meal commenced.
    I'm surprised by that, toothlight - I thought Probus was secular!
  • Just checked it out, and began in 1925 in the USA as a club for retired professional and businessmen. No mention of being secular, though linked to the Rotary Clubs. However, Grace before the lunch is the only link to religion, and I assume the loyal toast is at every UK meeting
  • Would that everyone was so concise.
  • No mention of being secular, though linked to the Rotary Clubs.
    Rotary is secular - I was a member of Rotary in Fiji and we had members of different faiths as well as members who were atheists. Interestingly - when I attended a Rotary meeting in Spain (run by Brits) they gave the loyal toast which greatly surprised me.
  • Secular means non-religious, no?
    A loyal toast isn't to do with religion but with national pride.
  • edited April 2015
    That's right, Lizy. I was surprised because Rotary is a world-wide organisation and has nothing to do with individual nations.

Edited to add: I wasn't questioning why probus give the loyal toast
  • edited April 2015
    My friends and I had this odd tradition when we went for a curry.

Someone would say "Shall we say grace?"

Everyone would reply "Grace" then we'd stuff our faces.

Don't know where it came from, none of us are particularly religious. Well, apart from lager - we drank that pretty religiously.
  • I grew up saying grace before meals - the short 'For what we are about to recieve may the Lord make us truly grateful' one.

On high days and holy days we'd even do a plainsong jam session with it - that was fun!
  • At school the prefect on duty would usually say "Benedictus Benedecat".
    I never did know what it meant.
  • My uncle used to say "Lord bless this bunch as they crunch their lunch."