Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Feature Accepted

edited April 2015 in Writing
Flora International editor Nina Tucknott has accepted a feature and photographs for publication.

Comments

• Well done!
  • Well done P!
  • Congratulations!
  • (Is that margarine or flowers?)
  • Well done, Patricia.
  • Patricia - how exciting! Do they have their own magazine?
  • Congratulations!
  • Well done!

marion
  • edited April 2015
    I
    (Is that margarine or flowers?)
    Greek Mythology, Liz!
    Patricia - how exciting! Do they have their own magazine?
    Yes Lizy, 'Flora Fortnightly'

Happy writing!

• Congratulations, Patricia.
  • Congratulations.
  • Well done.

I didn't know the magazine was produced near to me - Wimborne.

http://www.flora-magazine.co.uk/index.html

• Well done, Patricia. You must be delighted.
  • Congratulations :)
  • Thanks all for your encouraging comments. They are much appreciated. Whilst staying in Holland over Easter I went to Keukenhof, took photos and wrote about the floristry; a most enjoyable job!
  • Congratulations, Patricia. Sounds like a great trip. My family often ask after I have visited somewhere new, "So, what are you going to write about this time?" Might as well make the most of new opportunities.
  • Congratulations, Patricia! Article AND photos - double win :)
  • Wonderful news, Patricia.
  • Congratulations, Patricia! Article AND photos - double win :)
    I bought a Canon PowerShot G15. It's got to earn its keep.
  • Brilliant!
  • Thanks sallyj. Any news?
  • Just heard my article on Lexie, my dog saved from the horrors of Bosnia, accepted by a major newspaper for a new page. They are thinking of making the story a FRONT PAGE feature-wow! Won't say more or name the paper in case it all collapses: I do not believe in tempting fate, but it is scheduled for May. Will keep you informed as to progress
  • Wow, toothlight, that's fabulous!
  • That's good Toothlight.
  • Lovely.
  • That's great, Toothlight!

Fingers crossed that it goes ahead.
  • Discussion with editor of Pet Page, and-hopefully- my article being publish in the Saturday, May 16th edition of The Times. I also hope a short piece with photo of my lovely Cass, who died 2010, will be in 'In Memorium' column.
  • Exciting news. Well done.
  • I am spitting blood! Not only have I not got the bye line (the ruddy female reporter used hers) but facts are wrong, omitted, and quotes are attributed to LUX, not Brian Lux or even Brian. How bad mannered is that? The only +ve side is an email from a reader today making enquiries about adopting a small dog
  • *holds tin bucket under toothlight's chin*

Oh dear.
  • edited May 2015
    Not good, but sadly too common an occurrence. :(
  • But not the standard of behaviour or reporting I would expect from a newspaper with a pedigree of over 200 years
  • edited May 2015
    I think that you retain copyright though, so couldn't you sell the piece to 'Your Dog' ? *

* [email protected]
  • Depends which paper it is, Patricia, a lot of them take all rights, so toothlight would need to create a new piece using the same information, just a different angle.

Sadly the ethical standards of journalism are not what they once were.
  • You could certainly rewrite the piece for a different market, Toothlight. Dogs Today is another possibility. I had a story about a brave dog used there a few years back.
    http://www.dogstodaymagazine.co.uk/
    However, I would leave it a while before sending the story elsewhere. I appreciate these would be very different markets but editors like their material to feel fresh.
  • Just heard that a major dental magazine (sorry, but I WAS one of 'em in a former life) is to publish in the June issue. It was sent last year!
  • Well done, Toothlight, but have to say one year is quite quick compared to some items I have submitted!
  • Hi Wordy, but the original post was about the way The Times made a shambles of a piece. Today still no reply from editor or reporters to my letter(s) of complaint. Typical of the overpaid, poor writing and reporting standards of the national press
  • edited May 2015
    Try this one:

19. If you wish to complain about content in the newspaper?
    If you do have a complaint the department to contact is Customer Services:
    tel:+44 (0) 207 782 5000
    [email protected]

If a journalist is a member of the NUJ, there are standards and ethics members are expected to commit to. But there doesn't seem to be any way of checking.
    And it's possible that it was taken on with the intention of it appearing under their details, not yours. Very much depends on what was said...
  • What was said, was acceptance of my article under my name. Sharon Smith, who runs this new feature, told me there was no fee, but neither did she intimate is would be under name, not mine. She put speech quotation marks around some sentences to give the impression it was an interview. I accepted the no fee on the grounds the article would be seen by thousands, and might result in increased support. I have been away for a short break, but |Monday will see me on the phone to this 'lady' and the editor. I don't give up easily