Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Ahoy there! Pirates!

edited April 2015 in Writing
What should I do about this?

I keep finding different forum conversations about a particular book of mine which suggests people are getting hold of it for free. I'm not sure if every time I click back, the posts change, or if I am being taken to related discussions. Maybe this is a dangerous site and I am inviting a virus into my computer... How can I tell?

For example: http://lofconsultores.cl/libri-1165-1386-mandrake_s_plot/

http://lofconsultores.cl/libri-1165-1386-mandrake_s_plot/

I think this is a Spanish site, although the posts are in English (and some are non-sensical).

I've lost the first thread I found where a female wrote that she had been reading it (where? how?), loved, loved, loved it and desperately wanted a free copy - a bit OTT. That's all very nice an' all, but she should be paying for it! Could this be a scam to flatter the author and get them to click on something? It's showing the old, original cover for some reason which suggests that maybe they've somehow got hold of the first edition.

Who should I report this to, peeps?
Tagged:

Comments

• I've read about this kind of thing on other forums. I'll see if I can find any info from those discussions.
  • I don't think you need to worry. Someone's reply tells them what to do:

If the book you want to download is in the public domain (i.e., no longer under copyright such as a bunch of classics), you can download them here http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page - There are over 25,000 books to choose from. Gutenberg even has some books in audio format available to download.

If it's a more recent book, I'd suggest that you check to see if your library has a digital section available to borrow it online, then use your library card and borrow the book you want to read. Perhaps they have a digital copy even if you can't find the "hardcopy" in the library itself. If not, you could ask them where you can find it. Some libraries will call other libraries to check on availability of a title.

I hope this helps.
  • Thanks, Baggy.

I've just been browsing t'Internet. There are loads of book sites advertising 'free books' where my titles come up.
  • Oh, yes. Libraries do allow lending of digital copies. Maybe that's it.
  • Just looked at the site someone suggested for a free copy and they're marked down as scammers. You join up and pay a subscription to gain access to games and books etc. The victims are the people who sign up with their credit cards.

I'm searching the other forums.
  • I notice the links I left don't work on TB.

I just wonder at the number of people who claim to have read, or be reading, that book. I would've noticed heightened sales. I only have a few sales each month - and recently they have been for other books, not this one.
  • Yep. Found it. They confirm what I've said. Your book isn't actually available, it's a scam. Subscribe, click to try and download it and as well as getting financially fleeced you're rewarded with a Trojan attack.
  • Ah. Thank goodness for Detective Inspector B. Books.

Dangerous stuff. So, it's me they're trying to hoik in and fleece as it's only me that would google it, I expect. I hope I haven't clicked anything I shouldn't! I didn't try to download a book. Why would I? Silly people. I've got the virus checker going.
  • No, it's potential readers who think they can get a book for free in return for paying a monthly payment. They're being fleeced - their CC details are stolen and get a virus for their trouble.

To be honest, if someone's trying to get a pirate copy for 'free' they deserve what they get.
  • Yes. They. Do.
  • I was recently sent a link to a site which appeared to offer all my books for free - plus those of every author I tried. I contacted a few of those who had publishers (as I thought they'd have more clout to get it stopped) and was told that was a csam site. The person wanting a book downloads a virus instead.
  • Oh no, PM! Can you say which site that was so that we can steer clear?
  • Actually I'm quite happy for all those who try to download pirated books to get a computer virus.
  • I totally agree, PM.
  • Oh, yes - me too. I thought you meant it was a site which offered to promote our books for us. I've just read it again and see what you're saying.

Hell, yes, all the book thieves should get viruses! 8-X
  • Another enlightening thread. I had wondered about this.
  • There are plenty of sites that do offer your books as well. I've had plenty of mates have their books scanned or retyped and offered on websites. For the money they get for either individual payments, or subscriptions badly typing out an entire novel is quite lucrative...bastards!
  • Retyped, br? Unbelieveable!
  • Yup, and some very shoddily. Same as watching a movie recorded from back of cinema. Instead of people's heads popping up, a crap angle, and bad sound quality, it's missed words, typos, and terrible formatting.

The ones that are done well are re-nabbed and put onto different sites. It's impossible to police it.
  • Send them a bill. I just did that to a site that had one of my poems on and they took it down the next day.
  • You can also find out where their website is hosted and complain to their abuse line - i looked it up also just in case.