Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

My new book cover.

edited April 2015 in Writing
This is the new cover for Oy Yew. If you've read it you'll recognise the chandelier scene. The illustrator has used bones for the title which is appropriate. What do you think?
https://uk.pinterest.com/anasalote/oy-yew/
Tagged:

Comments

• Looks good, Ana!
  • Looks amazing! I would guess it's gothic horror or Victorian melodrama... am I right?
  • I like that - can't be mistaken for any other book!
  • It's very memorable and distinctive, ana. A good cover is so important.

Oh, for a professional to redesign all my books!
  • Knowing the plot I'd say it's a great cover, ana.
  • Thanks all. I like it a lot, just wanted to know how it strikes other people.

It has a gothic, pseudo Victorian feel Lou. Glad that comes across.

We were lucky with this designer, Nell. Fresh out of college and wanting to get into children's book illustration. Her fee was very reasonable as building a portfolio. So grab yourself a student.

• That's what i did - i saw her as a student, took note, approached her to see how much she'd charge, then asked my publisher if he'd use her, and luckily he said yes.

Now she is exhibiting in New York, her paintings cost several thousand pounds, and my own book cover sold for £3,000.

Go and look at the art shows, Nell, at your local universities, see which is the best one for illustration first.

You have to pay them though.

• It has a gothic, pseudo Victorian feel
    The cover matches up to that.
  • Definitely! Great job.
  • Looks good ana. What ages do you write for?
  • Excellent cover, ana.

Would definitely draw me in for a closer look :)
  • It will be marketed at 9-13s snailmale, but I'm hoping for crossover readers.
  • Well, I was glued to your book, it is a most unusual and riveting read. I LOVED, loved it.
  • Brilliant. Definitely worth a look at the book.