Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Beware!

edited April 2015 in Writing
Yesterday, I had an email from a colleague I've known for years, and in trouble. He was mugged in Manila, robbed of everything, and his luggage held by the hotel until his bill settled. Could I please help, and send some money (obviously being repaid once home). Yes, the contact email (in his name) worked. Luckily for me, the first time this scam was tried was some years ago, and the 'victim' was someone who I detested, so no money sent (this was a mugging in Spain). I've had others since, BUT the intriguing question is: These are genuine people, so how do the scammers know that I know them?

Comments

• The internet knows everything and it's there for anyone to find if they know how to look.
    For every hundred people who are savvy enough to suspect a scam there will be one who wonders and one who sends money.

Thanks for the timely warning, toothlight.
  • They have hacked the person you know's email address and a letter like this has been sent to ALL their contacts. It's no mystery.
  • Liz is right. Your friend will have been hacked, so if you haven't already mentioned this to him let him know so he can change hos passwords.

These things rely on the fact that some of the people in our email contact list will be people who care about us and will act to help before stopping to think.
  • It may not even be your friend who was hacked originally either. These things harvest the address books of one victim, then use them to attack those of their connections.
  • I ordered goods from Marks and Spencer last week. I had a confirmation email, and a shipping mail, and then another one that purported to be from 'M&S' inviting me to track my parcel through the lovely handy button they provided. It was clearly phishing, and was duly reported. How did they know I'd ordered anything? Must be picking up mail flow somewhere.
  • Change your password now.
  • Thanks for the warning.
    Also, I think the word 'beware' is very funny. It always make me think of a beaver :)
  • This is an appropriate place to remind everyone of the following (which always sounds bossy, but is sound advice).

Miscreants who are harvesting lists of email addresses will get them from emails that are sent to address lists. So if you want to forward something to all your friends, first remove the header containing details of the sender (including their list of contacts!) and send the email to yourself with blind copies to your own list.
  • You beat me to it, Spiresgate :). I always use BCC when sending to a list.
  • It annoys me when people don't do this, as even if the person is not hacked it means everyone else on the list has my email address, which I might not want.

Also, when registering with a website, some of them still send you a confirmation email with your username and password in it! Aaargh!
  • Gee, I'm learning a lot here today. Thanks, everyone.
  • Anyone had email from Jane Smith or Janet Smith?

Had two emails. Nothing in the text, just an attachment. Never heard of her. I deleted them without opening the attachments.
  • The best approach.
  • Jane Smith? My spam emailers are all from Nigeria.
  • Instead of deleting them, block them. If you right-click the little box by the mail without opening it, then go to the top bar which says delete or whatever, there will be a More Actions box: you can then choose to block the sender permanently. They come back under other names, but the same applies. I had one today supposedly from my DIL, but by hovering the mouse over the mail title I could see the email address, and it wasn't hers, so I blocked it.
  • Hovering the mouse is a good idea, even when an email seems to have come from a friend but it looks strange.
  • Most of my friends look strange.
  • Most of my friends look strange.
    Perhaps you look strange to your friends?

• Let's face it, none of us here can claim to be perfectly normal.
  • *stares*
  • *blinks*

Damn.
  • We can claim.

Doesn't make it true, of course.
  • Let's face it, none of us here can claim to be perfectly normal.
    tbh, I may be able to ... hang on ...

*rummages in undergarments*
  • Isn't being abnormal part of the job description?
  • You should know if anyone does, Lizy