Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Rejection

edited April 2015 in Writing
I found a rejection email in my inbox this morning.
I wasn't too put out TBH as I had given up on them ages ago - my submission was on October 8th last year. But the way they said 'thanks but no thanks' was odd. I quote;

"Thanks for this. I think it's interesting and very probably is going to be commercially interesting to publishers. For one reason or another it's not quite right for us, but if you haven't found an agent yet I wish you good luck in the continuing search.
Rupert Heath."

What do you make of that?

ps - it was my novel Helter Skelter - a 1930s to 1940s saga/drama with a bit of romance.

Comments

• I like it. I like it a lot.

Hooray!
  • I think he thinks it's good. So get it out again.
  • I have subbed it all over the place with one almost-hit and a fair number of compliments. I've been keeping it on the back burner till I get back to England because being here is a handicap.
  • That's a great comment.
  • Yes, but it doesn't get me any forrader!
  • Certainly doesn't sound like a standard response. Reckon he means it.

I can see that in a way 'we like it but aren't taking it' is more frustrating than 'we don't like it so we're not taking it'.
  • The fact that he thought others might find it 'commercially interesting' are the important words.
  • He certainly seems to have taken the time to write something specific. I would see that as encouraging.
  • I think that's a 'this is really publishable but it's not what we need - send it to someone else and you'll hit gold with it' response.
    Good vibes, Lizy!
  • Yes, agree it's about as good as a rejection gets. Keep it simmering and good luck when you start subbing again from the UK.
  • What Mrs Bear said.
  • Thank you all - it's a good note to end the month on and to keep my spirits up when I return from my two week break.
  • Good luck with it, Lizy. That sounds pretty encouraging to me.
  • That's a top rejection! They may already have a similar book or author on the cards. Keep going - it's too good to ignore!
  • That's a good one - if there is such a thing!
    Nearly there - just keep going!
  • I agree with all the other comments. They think it might be successful, but it's not what they're looking for. Send it somewhere else and we'll all be hoping for your success!
  • Encouraging and frustrating. Looks like it just needs to hit the right desk at the right time. Have you tried going direct to publishers?
  • Have you tried Choc Lit?
  • That sounds bloomin' hopeful to me, Liz :)