Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Name for our new form asked by Lou

LizLiz
edited May 2015 in Writing
I just decided to do it, thought the bare instructions of parts of speech would work. The slimmer poetry is the better it is, spare is beautiful, you can notice it more, like a petal close-up.

I thought about tips - like don't try alliteration, it's too clunky in such a small space, don't write the first thing that comes into your head, try for surprise, but there was no need. You've all been doing it automatically.

We could make diddy books of them though.

Comments

• They would go well with tiny line drawings.
  • I'm hopeless at poetry, but even I found this easier than I expected.

Slimmer poetry sounds good. :)
  • It's the best thread on here at the moment. I just love how when I log in there is another set of beautiful little poems to savour.
  • I love it, too, Claudia. It's a special collection.

Triotry?
    Triku?
    Simpoetry?
    Sparsitry?
  • I like Triku, TN
  • Too like haiku. They are nothing to do with haiku. Haiku are special, and complicated and simple.

These are just very simple.

I quite like sparsitry.

Triolet is a form, so the others are a bit near that...
  • You choose something, Liz, as it was your creation.
  • Well, fling names into the boxes. i'm sure the right thing will arrive. It need so to simple and attractive.
  • edited May 2015
    Petradi

It's Greek for gemstone, and to me, the beautiful, three line poems you've all been creating are like sparkling little jewels.
    The slimmer poetry is the better it is, spare is beautiful, you can notice it more, like a petal close-up.
    (By the way, I chose a Greek word as a sort of homage because The Iliad is said to be one of the first recorded poems.) It would be wonderful, Liz, if your new form of poetry, became just as well known. From little things, big things grow.

All right, that's my 'fling' into the box and the reason behind it. Simple is as simple does.

NEXT.....?
  • These teeny poems would be great for writing groups or as ice breakers at writing events.

For a name I suggest, Line On Line Assembled Stanzas.
  • I've used them with children, PM.
  • Ah! Lol!
  • Slim Verse...
  • I like Petradi.
  • Trifariam? Means 'three bits' in Latin.
  • edited May 2015
    Trifariam? Means 'three bits' in Latin.
    Wish I had learnt Latin. It would have helped me in a big way as after all it is the object that comes first, this would have helped me learn Portuguese.

• I've been MIA and seem to have missed something exciting :-/
  • Have a look at the thread 'Phrase association three line poetry', TA - and welcome back!
  • Triverse ?
  • I have this naughty urge to call them Tribbles. After small things that multiply.
  • That's the trouble with tribbles.
  • Oh dear - I think we've been feeding them.
  • chompchompchomp
  • Are they the star trek thingies?
  • Yes! They multiply.
  • And fill every surface! Funniest Star Trek episode ever!
  • I like tribbles:

1. It reminds me of drabbles which are short pieces of fiction.
    2. It reminds me of dribbles, as the poems trickle down the page in dribs and drabs.
    3. It has the letters 'tri' in it which means three.
    4. I have just learnt that they multiply - which they have.
  • Funniest Star Trek episode ever!
    Have you seen the 'Deep Space Nine' episode where they go back in time to the Tribbles episode in the original series? It's very good :)
    I like tribbles
    I like it too, like you say,TN, encompasses the poems perfectly :)
  • Yes, I remember that episode.
  • I love that Deep Space Nine episode, and the fact they could take the p out of themselves,
  • So they are Tribbles.
  • Hooray!

Are we now TB Tribblers?
  • How about if the last person, instead of just writing the final line, writes the three lines so that we can see the complete poem each time?
  • Or is that making too much Tribble Trouble?
  • I quite like how it is at the minute. Although that would separate them more easily.

i think people might get muddled and instead of doing the three lines one below the other and then the whole thing in another comment, and might just do 3 lines as the third line, which would spoil some of the fun.