Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Done the writing, on to the scary stuff

edited May 2015 in Writing

Anyone had any luck getting shops to stock your book or to host signings, talks etc? How did you approach them: email, phone, in person?
Also, are there any writers in the South West who would like to do some joint promotion, a local writers Q & A, signings etc; any book clubs out there who would like to host something?

(My publisher has asks me for a list of my planned promotional activities. Shuffled papers and looked away.)
Tagged:

Comments

• From other groups, the consensus seems to be in person, where possible.

If you're doing anything fairly nearish to Yeovil let me know and I'll try and come along.
  • I'd be happy to join with you, ana, but have no transport, obviously, unless it's a weekend. Also - our genres are completely different! Someone else may be a better fit.

I keep having ideas about doing some sort of event in bookshops,
  • My local independent bookshop stocks my books. I went in and asked and he's taken a few copies of each one.
  • Well done PM.
    Will do BB. Do you know much about Yeovil litfest - course you do. Some have areas for local authors to peddle and chat.
    There's a Waterstones and not much else in Weston, Liz. I'm focusing on Bristol and Bath. Tried Mr Bs in Bath, they don't do children's events. Due to layout it blocks the shop. Recommendations for good indie shops welcome.
  • There's the Sherborne litfest in October - is that too far?
  • Toppings. They did my launch and were great, the team there is a bit odd, but very helpful.

Foyles has a huge space up top, where I did my last big event. Used it for free. Easy to do an event there - I'll link a photo.
  • Yes, also, there is a litfest in Bristol in the Autumn.
  • Bristol Waterstones is a big space, and there would be room there, the children's dept. is in a sort of side space. There are even little tables, or used to be.

There is an independent book seller still up near the White Tree Roundabout, above Whiteladies Road, but it is tiny, no space at all, and they won't let dogs in, even Lola, so I don't normally talk about them at all. However on your own they might do something, you can only ask.
  • Ultra helpful, Liz. Thanks. Toppings sounds good. I like odd.
  • Well.... i'll pm you.