Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Booker winner. Longer sentences than Alcatraz

edited May 2015 in Writing
Just had a look inside 'The Melancholy of Resistance', this year's winner. Find it hard to breathe till I get to a full stop. I'm not breathing very often.

Comments

• I can't wait to read this.

I did see the first page, ana s, I don't recall reading a longer sentence!

I like reading something a little unorthodox in style.
  • The title's enough for me!
  • I wouldn't even pick it off the shelf with a miserable title like that.

I have in the past bought a book simply because it's won the Booker Prize, and it has never been a good experience. There's no accounting for tastes.
  • This is the winner of the Man Booker International prize, not the 'ordinary' annual Man Booker. This category looks at the body of work by an International author. In other words - it's the author, Laszlo Krasznahorkai who has won - not his book The Melancholy of Resistance.
  • Wow, Lizy, I've read some real corkers. Brilliant novels. Oh has just devoured Hilary Mantel's first, that won 4? years ago.

This year we read the shortlist and some of the longlist as well.

I enjoyed the Dentist one, to Rise Again at a Decent Hour, We are all Completely Beside Ourselves, The Narrow Road to the Deep North, that won, was FABULOUS!
  • When I am back in the UK and can browse real, actual, wooden bookshelves in a proper bookshop, Liz, I may very well follow your example.
    It's the only way I can choose a book - the internet hurst my eyes and my brain too much!
  • I often find that books in the shortlist are better than the winner.

I guess, as always, these things are highly subjective.
    I enjoyed the Dentist one, to Rise Again at a Decent Hour!
    Brilliant book, Liz, enjoyed that one too :)
  • I've got the Howard Jacobson and another one yet to read... just haven't had time.