Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

A new kid on the block

edited June 2015 in Writing
Hi all. So nice to find a friendly, active forum for writers. To introduce myself I am James, living in manchester.
I have been writing for quite a few years trying out novels, short stories, sitcom scripts and comedy sketches in a brief rollercoaster ride otherwise known as a career as a stand up comedian. My number 1 passion is fantasy writing and so far have completed 1 novel as part of a series and partial works on two more.
if you lovely people would be so kind I would love to find more people to talk to in detail about their experiences and opinions. Writers seem to be a very reclusive breed and I find that without others to bounce back ideas and material these 4 walls of maps and character profiles soon send you round the bend.
Do you guys know of places I can find in and around manchester where I can meet more writers/people in the writing business in person? And if anyone feels in need of a friendly, overly talkative person to discuss ideas and material with please give me a bell back.

p.s. no idea if that is the correct way to give an introduction but hope you will forgive. I haven't networked on the internet much.

James.

Comments

• Hi, google writing groups Manchester, loads of stuff comes up.
  • Hi, jimmy. It's always lovely to welcome a new member, and there's nothing we like better than a good chat... though we do tend to go off topic quite regularly.

Try your local library for details of writing groups, but, as ana says, Google will bring up lots of results.
  • Welcome James.
    As well as Google you could try the old-fashioned methods of a note on the library board and a letter in the local paper.
    Also experiment on Facebook with combinations of Manchester, Writers and Group.
    Good luck - I shall be doing the same when I return to England!
  • Hi James - pleased to meet you
  • Welcome James. I was a student in Manchester more years ago than I care to remember. Surely someone there must run a writing group?
    There are lots of writers here. Actually, we're pretty much all writers. What more could you ask of a writing magazine site?
    Reclusive? Us? We travel in packs on here, you know. Join in. You're among friends of variable levels of sanity and good manners.
  • edited June 2015
    Hello, James. Nice to meet you.

Depending on what you want, try searching the writers online resources section here: https://www.writers-online.co.uk/Writers-Groups/

• Hi James. Welcome to Talkback.
  • Col B is in Manchester
  • I'm not far off (Leeds), gimme a shout if you manage to gather a group of writers :D And welcome to the forum!
  • Hi, and welcome! I live in an isolated and extremely remote part of Australia so am about as far away from writerly humeing-beans as it's possible to be, and it hasn't affected me it hasn't affected me it hasn't affected me. Living in Manchester would be a breeze. Oh, and Bill is right; Col B is there, too, and still occasionally makes an appearance on here when he's not flitting about promoting his books. I thought of him the instant you mentioned Manchester. He'd most certainly be a great bloke to inbox to ask about writing groups in your area.

Welcome aboard, JA.
  • Hi and welcome from West Cork, Jimmy.
    I'm pretty sure there was a get-together in Manchester for a few talkbackers who live in that part of the country a few years ago. Hopefully those who attended will see your thread.
    In the meantime, you'll find this virtual community of writers is pretty good (served me well during my years in Fiji!)
  • thank you all so much for the warm welcome. I am definitely going to find a lot of useful stuff on here. Cheers for all the advice I will see how many people I can root out of their dens :). I suspect I will come up with more questions soon enough but i'll try to pitch in where I can as well.
  • Welcome, nice to meet you.
  • Hello, welcome!