Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Hi all - new member

edited June 2015 in Writing
Hi all,

I've been a prolific reader for years, and often read a book and thought 'that was rubbish, I could do better'. At the same time, I've often read a book and thought 'that was great, I wish I could do that'. So I've decided to have a bash myself and see what happens. I am a total newbie though - I've got what I think is a good idea for a book, and am doing the background stuff before I actually start writing it. So I'm right at the start of the journey.

Any advice, thoughts, help, criticism or pointers will be gratefully received!

BelgianExile

Comments

• Hello, BE, and welcome!

The rest will be here soon.
  • Pleased to meet you BE - pull up a chair. Good luck with your writing venture.
  • Hi BE.

My top tip - pointy end of pen towards paper (or the electronic equivalent)
  • Hello, BE.
    It's great to have you on board. There are lots of lovely people here who know a lot about writing and will be happy to steer you in the right direction.
  • Hello BE.
  • Not a bad place to start, Belgian. Good luck to you.
  • Hi BE, welcome. We had 2 very happy years living in Belgium. Whereabouts are you from?
  • Hi, BE, lovely to meet you. Are you an exile to or from Belgium?
    There are writers of all levels here, so ask anything you like, no matter how daft it sounds. (There are a lot of daft people here too - we do enjoy a good bit of daftness.)
  • Hi , BE, welcome aboard :)
  • Hi BE
    if you need any help or advice (free of charge) with crime or police procedures, drop me a line.
    Otherwise, all the best anyway.
  • Hola BE - we had two Belgians looking at our apartment yesterday!

Welcome to TB.
  • hello and welcome.
  • Hi welcome aboard - best thing to do when writing a novel us get some words on the page - be prepared though - very few get their first book published so use it as a learning experience - it's frustrating fun and you'll find out a lot about yourself along the way. (Now I've said that you'll get Harper Collins offering you £100,000 for a 3 book deal and Columbia pictures offering a £50,000 annual retainer until they eventually make the film in 3 years time at which you'll pocket £1.6m and say 'this writing lark's a doddle!)
  • Hey all,

I have to say I'm amazed by the welcome - thank you all so much. This looks like a great community to be a part of.

This whole thing is a real journey for me - and one which I'm really looking forward to. The length of my novel so far is 624 words (all written this evening), but hey it's a start. I have got genuinely no idea about writing other that an English O-level (my only 'A', and I know it shows my age). But while it would be nice for Harper Collins to knock on my door, I'd be happy to have a novel down on paper, just to tick that one off the bucket list.

I am really chuffed at the number of welcomes, so thank you all.

BE