Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Do you have a notebook?

JenJen
edited June 2015 in Writing
Do you have a writers' notebook? I have a small one I keep ideas in but I'm thinking of getting an a5 one I can keep snippets of books in that have given me ideas (sometimes some tiny scene or character description will make me think of something completely unrelated) and pictures I've been inspired by. My small one seems too small.
I'm wondering what notebook you use. Do most writers use their notebooks constantly? Maybe you're more of a scraps of paper type person, I write ideas wherever and have one or two I know floating about in a random notebook that I need to write tidily somewhere.
I've been looking at a paperblanks notebook I have a gorgeous Jane Eyre one I use as a book journal/record but I'm deciding if I want something like that or just your basic notebook.

Is yours a special book or just a plain notebook?

Comments

• I have gazillions of them. I make notes and then completely forget about them and when I come to read them, they are illegible. But still, I carry on taking notes, jotting idea, lines... usually about A5 size but I have all sizes for different occasions.
  • I have several - the A4 ones stay at home, an A5 one fits my larger handbag, and I even have shopping list size notebooks in my smaller bags.
    Never be without pen and paper - never!
  • Lots, some in use, others are waiting. :D

I got the one in my handbag from the stationery section in Waterstones. Bought it last year, and it says W is for writing, on the front and back cover.
  • I have several - the A4 ones stay at home, an A5 one fits my larger handbag, and I even have shopping list size notebooks in my smaller bags.
    Never be without pen and paper - never!
    My philosophy too. I was just watching an episode of the gilmore girls, one of the characters is a writer (journalist not fiction) and the head of this paper just said to her something like never be without a pencil. Funny I was just watching this and agreeing but prefer a pen and then you said this too.
    Because it's a Fact! :)

• Pencil, however, is more durable. It will stay legible for hundreds of years - new biro fades in decades.
  • I have a pocket-sized, softback, notebook that I take everywhere.

• Just counted eleven assorted within arms length, plus two scrap pads.
    Nothing of consequence in any of them.
  • new biro fades in decades.
    I'm nearly 79, I don't give a sh*t.

• Ahhh - but your descendents, and the scholars peering at your scribbled notes may!
  • I think I'd ask my surviving relatives to burn all my notes and old teen diaries on my death, actually I think I'd have to burn my teen books before then. I don't keep a diary now but I did off and on as a teen (and that just gave me an idea, where's my notebook.... )
  • A..? A Notebook? nope. I've no idea how many I have. Some are actually organised, others are a combination of my writing notes and the girls scribbles because "I'm bored" hits in a 'not good place to be bored' and the notebook is the only thing I have with me to occupy them. I also made the silly mistake of buying ones way to big to fit in anything. Or the ones way to pretty to be messed up with scrawl...
    Pages are then removed and filed away in relevant idea boxes should they happen to have one. So I have note-boxes too. Does that count?
  • Lost track of how many I have, some are still awaiting use, others are so battered and full of stuff that may come in useful one day it's untrue.
  • Loads and loads but always disorganised.
  • Tiny one in handbag just in case. Usually used for non-writing reminders.
    Lots of beautiful brand new ones that have nothing written in them.
    A huge pile of A4 papers on my desk (and files of it too) with all my ideas on them.
  • Lots of notebooks - but one special one which contains observations, quotes, similies, metaphors, potential story titles, etc, etc.
    I've had this little book for years and only special/important notes go in it - but it's my 'go to' book whenever I'm stuck for inspiration.
  • One in each handbag (so five, in suitably coordinating colours/patterns), three on bedside drawers ('working' notebook, 'thriving' notebook and 'Conversations with a Lesser Planet' notebook), nine others in bedside drawers (family history, Visual Verse, dragons, dreams/astrology, couple of new ones and the ones I amalgamate the unused bits from working notebooks into - I strip them out when they're full) - there are also various business/design notebooks (eight or nine of them at last count). Given a choice I prefer A5, spiral bound with board covers (purple/pretty/fantasy) and elastic to hold it shut. I'm not allowed into Paperchase without a responsible adult :D
  • "Ahhh - but your descendents, and the scholars peering at your scribbled notes may!"
    My wife just discovered a note book written by ancestors with recipes in lovely copperplate writing dated .....1794 !! so you never know.
    And yes I have loads of notebooks with meaningless notes and ideas for poems.
  • I like using spiral bound notebooks of all sizes. I write article in the main so each new idea has its own page for adding details later and when I come to write things up I just remove the pages to a folder. Probably different for those writing fiction, though, who may simply want to record a conversation snippet or two.
    I try never to go out without a notebook and at least a compact camera as you never know when you might come across something that sparks an idea.
  • I note everything down on my iPhone - as I've said before somewhere on here most of my ideas come at 3 in the morning the iPhone's got a keyboard and it lights up - I'd lose my pencil/pen/quill in the dark and wouldn't be able to see anyway - couldn't put the light on as it'd wake everyone up - we all sleep in the same bed like The beginning of Charlie and the chocolate factory. ( I was kidding about the last bit most of the time but rarely a night goes by without at least one small child sometimes 2 crawling in beside us ( one night a third little girl appeared which was really disconcerting as I've only got 2 daughters but I forgot our niece was staying...anyway that's why I don't us a notebook do I shouldn't really have contributed to this thread I should have started a new one called 'why I DON'T use a notebook' but I've typed it all now on my iPhone so I'll just leave it here and get me coat

• that sounds funny datsco
    I note everything down on my iPhone - as I've said before somewhere on here most of my ideas come at 3 in the morning the iPhone's got a keyboard and it lights up - I'd lose my pencil/pen/quill in the dark and wouldn't be able to see anyway - couldn't put the light on as it'd wake everyone up - we all sleep in the same bed like The beginning of Charlie and the chocolate factory. ( I was kidding about the last bit most of the time but rarely a night goes by without at least one small child sometimes 2 crawling in beside us ( one night a third little girl appeared which was really disconcerting as I've only got 2 daughters but I forgot our niece was staying...anyway that's why I don't us a notebook do I shouldn't really have contributed to this thread I should have started a new one called 'why I DON'T use a notebook' but I've typed it all now on my iPhone so I'll just leave it here and get me coat
  • On the pen vs pencil question. Pencils still write when the paper's damp, ballpoints tend not to, and as for ink - well, life could get messy! If you might be writing outside, it's worth remembering.
  • LizLiz
    edited July 2015
    Also on the pencil question, if you are worried about a pencil going blunt, get a Kuru Toga pencil. They are WONDERFUL.

I first got one for my daughter's b/f, who is a civil engineer - apparently they love them, I think Steve told me about them.

They are a propelling pencil - that is where the similarity to any pencil you have ever used, propelling or not, ends.

They self sharpen - you never need to worry about that again. One lead seems to last forever - and you can buy loads of spares. And the lead is like writing with silk - so smooooooth.

And when I say self sharpen, they are always at that stage of sharpness that is optimal - not too sharp and pointy, but just right. And they never break.

You can get expensive ones in metal but mine is pink plastic, soft and comfy to hold, and came free with an order and I will never use any other type of pencil again. It costs about £5.
  • Liz - you should work in advertising :)