Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Resubmitting work

edited June 2015 in Writing
I submitted three chapters to a major romance publisher and it was rejected. They gave me feedback which I have used and have since done rewrites. This publisher now has a national competition running and I would like to submit my story to it and/or resubmit to the publisher but don't know what the etiquette is around resubmitting past work?
Any advice please would be greatly appreciated.
Tagged:

Comments

• There would be no issue about entering it into the competition.

Alternatively if you resubmit then say that it has been rewritten after receiving their feedback.

It depends on the publisher whether they will look at manuscripts a second time, but those that don't will usually say in their submission guidelines. If it doesn't then it's worth resubmitting.

Good luck. :)

• Good advice, Carol - it's worth a shot - though I would warn writergal that even following a publisher's advice to the letter is no guarantee of success.

On the other hand, even if they don't take it, you were obviously worth encouraging - most rejections are a sentence long, in my experience, and any feedback is worth its weight in gold. I have kept all mine!
  • They gave you feedback and you've followed it; it makes sense to send it back to them, doesn't it? Unless they say not to, give it a try.
  • I resubmitted to an agent after a rewrite and was taken on, so I'd say go for it.
  • As long as the rules don't bar you from entering something you've previously submitted to them I can't see any problem.
  • Is it Mills & Boon? Just check the rules, if doesn't say you can't, then I would!