Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Word count

edited June 2015 in Writing
I was struggling for inspiration today so looked through my various writing folders. Counting my last published book, the one due out in September, the 50k words of my current project and my 4/5 other completed but not got anywhere with and my completed but not done anything with yet, and all my out-takes and scraps, my total creative word count of the last 5 years is around 1.2 million words - which is quite mind- boggling and equates to around 650 words a day or around 4000 a week. Given there are days and weeks that can pass where I don't write much at all I must have some really productive days - in terms of output anyway not necessarily quality!!

I expect a good few on here write a lot more than that but just thought I'd bore you all with my musings!!

Comments

• That's impressive. I cut so much I often end up with a negative count.
  • Good grief - that's a lot of words! It's never occurred to me to try to tot up my annual word counts. My article word counts vary between one and two thousand words and my fiction is mainly of the 'flash' variety, so my annual word count would be miniscule compared to yours, Datco.
  • top marks for effort