Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Short story manuscript format

edited June 2015 in Writing
Hi! Just wondering how you would format a manuscript to submit in a Writing Magazine short story competition. On the front page, I have put my details in the right hand corner and the title of the story and my name in the centre of the page. Is this the correct way to do so? Also, would you submit it double or single spaced? Thanks.

Comments

• edited June 2015
    Unless instructed otherwise I always submit in standard manuscript format, so I double space my entries.

I wouldn't worry too much about things such as address going on left or right - if such things aren't specified then the organisers probably don't mind. The key things are to be sure you follow any rules or guidelines and that whatever you submit is easy to read.
  • Can't stress enough how important it is to read the Terms and Conditions, and/or guidelines.

It's possible you may well find the organisers don't want you to mark the entry with your name. In some cases if you do, your entry will be disqualified without even being read, but entry your fee will be retained by the organiser.
  • There is always a list of guidelines in Writing Magazine. From what I remember for a story:

1. Double space;
    2. Type on only one side of the page;
    3. Number each page;
    4. Write the title of the story on page 1, but do not write your name.

On a completely separate sheet, write the required details.
    This is how I do it:

In the middle, in italics, I write the title of the story competition, e.g. Crime Story.

In bold, a few spaces down, but still in the middle, I write my own story title with the number of words in brackets beneath.

A few lines down, I write 'By XXX' (my name)
    Then a few spaces underneath that I write my address, telephone and email details.

As dora says, it's really important to follow guidelines to the letter. Failure to do so can result in immediate disqualification.

Good luck with your entry!
  • Thanks guys - I'll double space :)