Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Kickstarter

edited June 2015 in Writing
has anyone heard of kickstarter. It's a website that uses crowd funding in order to get a project completed. You say you want to make £1,000 for your project, and you can offer rewards - such as a signed copy of the book or a bookmark etc.

There seems to be a lot of cool stuff there - Arts, crafts, comics, games. I'm considering putting my project up and see if I am successful. :)

Comments

• A friend of mine has used Kickstarter. It funded his project and he now has a flourishing business from it.

Go for it, TWOTM!
  • I've heard of it, but not been tempted to try it. It's hard enough getting people to buy a book from an unknown author that I doubt many would pay up before it was published (though with an interesting enough idea and enough publicity they might).
  • I've heard of it and that it can work very well. But like everything, it has to be marketed.
  • look at Pubslush and Unbound too they are more geared to books.
  • Yeah, I think I might just go for it. If I'm unsuccessful I don't pay anything - It will give me an opportunity to get my marketing from uni into gear! I think it'll give me the extra push I need to get it done :)
  • Best of luck!
  • Not sure if I'm allowed to self promote here. But I've got it all set up! Going to spend the next 30 days finding new ways to market this. If I don't make it - I can always say that I tried and maybe try again :)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1954394992/the-writings-of-the-moon-a-new-beginning-collectio

• I think you need to make it clearer how you will use the funds - you mention you have a spreadsheet, but why not share that info on the page?

Self-publishing can be achieved on a zero budget - what is the £500 being used for?
  • One of the tutors I had at an Arvon course recently used Kickstarter to raise funds to allow him time out to write and to travel for research for his next novel.

He raised a fantastic amount, way more than he had expected to. He offered a quirky marketing strategy - postcards sent from the writing research location, each with an individual note from him, with the idea that they'll be worth a fair bit in the future!

How much you donated determined whether your postcard came with a lipstick mark, a whisky stain, a bullet hole (and yes he chummed up a friend at a shooting range) and so on. Great idea and proved very effective for him, although he has been published previously.
  • What about paying for the cover art and the proofing, BB?
  • Do you mean that's what the fund would be used for? That is how it normally works for these projects.

I know of several that have funded the various elements of a book and it can be very successful. At least one has won an award for their book and others have become best-sellers in their Amazon category.