Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Submitting a Christmas story

JenJen
edited July 2015 in Writing
I've had this Christmas story idea in my head for quite a while now. I'm going to write it but I'm not sure when to submit it. I've never submitted to a magazine before( well not really, once to My Weekly years ago when I was younger and my writing probably not as good) so I'm not sure when to submit.
I was thinking of trying women's weekly but they don't say when they accept Christmas stories. I read somewhere once that you should send them in the summer? I might finish this story in a month or less, rewriting takes me a while.
Otherwise I'll keep it for a competition or maybe think about another magazine.

Comments

• A lot of magazines will only accept work from writers they've already published - you'd need to check each one for their status. They all have their own fiction 'style' - so that's another element to check.

PM's the one in the know.

Good luck!
  • Jen have a look at the womag blog for the guidelines. Not many women's magazines left accepting from writers who haven't submitted to them before.

http://womagwriter.blogspot.co.uk/

• Woman's Weekly and Take a Break both accept from new writers, but you need to be sending them your Christmas stories as soon as possible - like now! End of July is getting a little late, but you might just squeeze in.
  • You should still be OK if you finish it fairly soon.
  • Never mind I haven't started it yet and it takes ages for me to rewrite
  • Try writing something now for Valentine's Day, then it should give you just enough time to edit it and send it in.
  • Write it now anyway, you'll be nice and early for next year.

I never worry about writing at the 'correct' time of the year.
  • Try writing something now for Valentine's Day, then it should give you just enough time to edit it and send it in.
    I'm not writing just to get in a magazine I've had an idea for a Christmas story for a while and I've decided to write it. I write what I want to write rather than to get into a magazine etc if I don't have an idea I can't write.

I'm not writing just to get in a magazine I've had an idea for a Christmas story for a while and I've decided to write it. I write what I want to write rather than to get into a magazine etc if I don't have an idea I can't write.

I'm sure you'll find a home for it somewhere else, though paying markets are limited. :(

• I'm not holding out any hope for making money sadly:( Writing is the only thing I feel passionate and motivated by.
  • edited July 2015
    That's the best way to feel. And if you do make some money - which you may well do - then that can be a bonus.
    Always worth trying the paying markets first, though - no point in giving your work away if you can get paid for it!
  • I want to make money but right now I'm just trying to get work out there. I hope to write a novel when I manage to finish one.