Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

I've finished my Creative Writing Degree.

edited July 2015 in Writing
Hello everyone,

Great news. I've finished my three year Creative Writing Course (BA Hons) at London South Bank University. I've passed the course with a 2:1. Three long years of hard work, worth it. The grade is worked out by adding 20% of the overall mark of our second year and 80% of our third year. I had a 2:1 in my first, second and third year so it makes sense it would be my overall grade but it's still nice to have it confirmed.

The marking system is as follows:
1st: 70% or higher
2:1: 60% - 69%
2:2: 50% - 59%
3rd: 40% - 49%
Fail: 49% or under.

Normally we would do three modules in a semester but the University wanted us to focus on our major project.

My Major project was 68 out of 100. We had to continue on our chosen project (in my case it was my novel) and write 14,000 words plus a reflective essay of 2500 words. Both the essay and the novel (when added with the first 6000 words from semester one) were 68.

Literacy magazine: 61. We had to design a online magazine called the South Bank Review and publish it. It contains short stories, reviews, pieces of flash fiction and more. You could also be an editor or designer. I wrote a short story titled Urban Exploration and a review of John Green's novel Looking for Alaska. Links are down below.

http://www.thesouthbankreview.co.uk/2015/04/urban-exploration/

http://www.thesouthbankreview.co.uk/2015/04/review-of-looking-for-alaska-by-john-green/

I'm ecstatic with my 2:1. The next thing I'm waiting for is my graduation date. We think it's some time in October but no one is certain.

:D

Comments

• Congratulations, Jack. :)
  • We knew you'd do it! Well done on your high marks!
  • Wayheyhey! Well done you!
  • Huge congratulations, StF! It went by so quickly. Enjoy your graduation ceremony.
  • Well done.
  • Congratulations, StF, good for you! That's wonderful news.
    So...where to from here?
  • That is wonderful! So pleased for you - I can't believe it's been three years.
  • Fantastic, STF, many congratulations. As others have said, I can't believe it's three years.
  • Woo hoo *throws wig in air* congratulations. That's brill news.

I thought you'd been quiet on here.

IG I think the next step is to the grad ceremony and much celebration!
  • Congratulations!
  • Saw this on Facebook, Jack - jolly well done. XX
  • Congratulations St Force. Well done. Enjoy your Graduation.
  • Great News St.F. Hard work paid off. Terrific result.
    Neil F.
  • Well done St.Force you must have worked very hard. Those three years have flashed by.
  • Congratulations. What next?
  • Brilliant, Jack. Very well done! You certainly seem to have put a lot of effort in so it's great to hear you're happy with the result. Will you continue to work on your novel now?
  • Wow! 2:1 is excellent. I bet you can't believe it's done and dusted. Now on to more exciting things!
  • Congratulations. It hardly seems any time at all you were planning this step and now it is complete. Well done.
  • Well done. Like your easy, natural writing style; and very contemporary with the phone woven in.
  • Congratulations. That's brilliant.
  • That's fantastic, St Force! Well done.
  • edited July 2015
    There's a clever lad.
    Well done. Like your easy, natural writing style; and very contemporary with the phone woven in.
    Eh?

Oh yes. Got the phone ref.! Sorry. My weaving's not up to scratch! Love from Penelope ( Homer )

Ref;
    Publisher; Harper Perrenial
    Author; Homer, Trans. Lattimore R.
    Title; The Odyssey of Homer

• Well done ST

Keep up the momentum now.
  • Congratulations, ST. A 2:1 is a great achievement.
  • Congratulations St F- it doesn't seem five minutes since you told us you were off to uni and I remember the trepidation you felt and all of us telling you it would be fine. A huge "well done" and I'm impressed with the body of work you've accomplished.
  • Good grief, I can't believe it's three years already! Many congratulations - thrilled for you, SF.