Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

New independent bookshop opening in Leytonstone East London

edited July 2015 in Writing
Shop is due to open in about a months time. At this point I am just looking for expressions of interest.

I would like to gather the names of those who would like to have their books displayed for sale in the shop.

There will be opportunities to do book signings at the shop.

Further details can be given upon request.

Comments

• Are you looking just for local authors?
  • Do you mean the bookshop is independent, or it's for independent book authors?
  • The bookshop will be displaying books written by indie authors; and will be for any authors worldwide that produce books in English.
  • edited July 2015
    Sale or return? New, used or both?
  • I will certainly try and get down there and show my support.

Any excuse for a splurge on books :)
  • Hi luluemm, is it for self publishers only or will you be including small press publications?
  • Try the Alliance of Independent Authors:

http://allianceindependentauthors.org/?affid=2339

They have a weekly newsletter and might be able to consider a mention.
  • self publisher only. I am considering a charge so can anybody give me some ideas on what monthly amount or percentage they might be prepared to pay
  • Nice idea to give self-publishers an outlet. It might be trial and error to get the sums right. Authors are hit from every side by exploitation. Maybe you would need to screen for quality via reviews. I would also consider small presses. They are publishing some incredible stuff that the chains constantly overlook.
  • can anybody give me some ideas on what monthly amount or percentage they might be prepared to pay
    Not much!

Sorry, but realistically self published authors don't make much from their books. Small print runs or POD mean they can't offer the kind of discount or percentage of sales that big publishers can.

They're also unlikely to be able/willing to spend much to have their books stocked just in the hope of making sales.
  • edited July 2015
    self publisher only. I am considering a charge so can anybody give me some ideas on what monthly amount or percentage they might be prepared to pay
    Why would anyone pay an unknown? Where is this shop - is there a good amount of footfall/passers by or is the business in some out-of-the-way alleyway?

Think you should consider accepting the goodwill of authors to choose to put their works of art in your shop before you start seeking payment from anyone for the privilege of doing so. Unless, do you already have outlets in other towns, ie some sort of record of how well displays in your shops do?

I think it might be wise to think what your shop is going to give those who choose to display in your shop rather than the other way round, until you gain some sort of loyalty from buyers and the authors know it'll be worth their while putting their ware in your shop window.

• Would also echo the small publisher plea - Waterstones etc don't like displaying small publishers books because they like to deal with one or two suppliers only for an easy life.

But you will be in the enviable (or unenviable) position of dealing with everyone separately (this will take up a lot of admin time) so in fact the places that sell small publishers' books will be a welcome relief.

Small publishers are also expected to give huge chunks of their profit for being displayed, and they can't really afford it - and in fact indie shops in general charge even more.

If you can charge less then you stand a good chance of getting books displayed with you.

I'd also echo -review the books. Waterstones got in a self-published to extremely high standards Sci fi book in our local city. It looks wonderful but it is is dire. Badly written (falls into every single bad-writing trap imaginable on the very first page. If you don't check the books you sell are of good standard then your customer base will not grow.
  • Is that it then? No more input from Luluemm in response to what appear to be some very valid points and advice?