Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

writing advice?

JenJen
edited July 2015 in Writing
I feel bad asking for yet more writing advice. I usually figure things out myself but there is one thing I'm stuck with. I can't seem to finish a novel. I've have done with nanowrimo but alone I can't. I write so far and get stuck.
I'm not a planner so maybe that's where I'm going wrong I'm not sure. Should I maybe plan more? How do I know if an idea is long enough to make it a novel? I keep getting vague ideas and they're always for novels, I was thinking of just focusing on short fiction to learn as I really need to sort my short fiction out first. But then I had a novel idea!

The problem I have with short stories is rewriting, it takes ages for me to rewrite as I have to completely change the story. I've let it get me down again and put me off writing so this is the thing I need to get past and get on with.

I'm not sure if I should stick to short fiction (maybe set a target of so many a week/month) or if I should write this novel idea too. My writing it probaby not good enough to write a novel yet.
Thanks for reading and helping.

Comments

• It is the REWRITING that is important. It is the evolution of the story/novel.

You sound a bit like me - I get down and disheartened too easily. Although, I do think my writing is good enough [I’m sure yours is, too. Important for you to think/know that.].

FOUR WEDDINGS AND A FUNERAL, eg, was re written ten times at the filming process, after many re writes before that. One does get SICK of the characters, sometime, think about them on waking.
    There are many examples.

A famous American writer, whose name escapes me at the mo, said; ‘…it is only when you have FINISHED writing that you realise what you wanted to say…’ [I paraphrase].
  • Is the reason you can't finish a novel a) I don't want the story to end b) I don't know what the end is c) I don't think it is any good, so if I finish it I'll have to admit it to myself.

All three of those can be sorted.

There is another option of course d) I don't know. :)

Which do you think it is?
  • Re the short stories. Why do you have to completely change the story at a rewrite? Is it a confidence thing? If you can work out why you feel you need to do this then that is the first step.
    Would it be worth joining a writing/critique group - either online or 'real' - so that you can get the view of other people whether a story needs a complete rework or just an edit?
  • Writing a novel is very different from writing a short story. Being good (or bad) at one doesn't mean you will be with the other. If novels are what you want to write then learning to write short stories might not be a huge amount of help.

Heather's suggestion of getting feedback is good. If you're constantly compltely rewriting everything then you're changing all the good bits as well as those which don't work.
  • Don't feel bad about asking advice.

If you can't finish the novel I suggest ask yourself why you started to write it the first place. Some people want to write the story of a character overcoming some huge issue in their life and the ending is closure for this character. Others have a fantastic action idea in their head and they want to share what they see in their imagination with others.

I think a lot of how a novel ends depends on why you're telling the story.
  • Are you trying to stretch the story to fit novel size, when actually it would be better as a novella? Is it the mid-novel doldrums that get to you? It isn't easy to write a full-length (as in, anything over 80k) novel; you have to believe in the plot and the people, you have to know where you're heading with the story, and you have to be flexible enough to give the characters their head if they want to lead you in a different direction, or be certain why they shouldn't.
    It takes a lot of time: and that's part of the problem, because what you want is an instant result. Take one story, add water, watch it grow. If only it worked that way. You have to have a certain amount of confidence in yourself, and more in your story, to be able to stick at it day after day.
    Writing anything gets better the more you do it. You can't know it all upfront, nor will you get it word perfect at first typing. You really do have to learn on the job. If that lesson tells you that actually the plot you thought was so brilliant is in fact a lot of fluff, then change it - go with what you've learnt.
    Just be prepared to learn and to go on learning.

• Lots of good advice here - as I've prattled on about on here before I don't write in a linear way i.e. I'm all over the place for example in my latest project I've already pretty much mapped out the ending and have lots of bits here and there / I think you need a weird sort of brain to work like this but it does stop me getting bogged down so maybe try it??

Oh and in terms of rewrites my agent (yes I got one at last!!) asked me how I was getting on last week and I said I was at about 50,000 words - she said that's good - I said not really I need to write 100,000 to get 50,000 that are any good! So Jen I think we're all a bit like you in many ways but as I say maybe try jumping around a bit - it might help..

• Thanks for all the advice. Just an update: I've since had an idea but I'm letting it fester for a while before I do anything. I've jotted down ideas. I've had this one character in my head for a while, he was in a short story I wrote years ago and I started another story with him in sometime. I wrote a little piece this week too. He could easily be in this new idea I have but I'm really not sure.
    Maybe I'm trying too hard and need to find out what works for me. I've started reading a book about novel writing and from the first page it seems better than any other I've read as they talk about things I can relate to not just tell you how to do things and an informative fact book but their experiences.
    As usual my one question about writing a novel changes into I have this idea I could write into a novel but should I? And is this character going to be in it or not? Rhetorical as I'm sure it'll figure itself out and I'm not chasing it I'm letting it work itself out and letting that character do what he will. I don't think I've ever had a character stick to me like this before at least not a main character, my main characters/viewpoint always hide and other characters may be more prominent. Odd.
  • The fact this character has stuck with you all these years tells you they are important and they're there for a reason.
    You just have to decide what that is.

Good luck.

• "I have this idea I could write into a novel but should I?"
    Why shouldn't you?
    Only way to stop wondering is to start writing. ;)
  • C2C2
    edited July 2015
  • You could try writing a plan for a novel chapter by chapter. If you find it doesn't have the legs to hold itself up, at least you won't have spend months/years on it. (She said, as if she had a clue about novel writing! :) )
  • I've have done with nanowrimo but alone I can't. I write so far and get stuck.
    Well, look who just got adopted by an annoying writer who enjoys haranguing people into doing work :D

Gimme a shout if you want prodding into action. There's nothing more I enjoy than doling out great writing advice that I don't follow myself :P
  • LOL Thanks boredrobots. So far I've let the idea rest and I'm waiting for ideas to come, I've had a few. I'm going to do some research and write down ideas or plans or whatever but I don't know if it will come together as a plan.
    I've done hardly any writing this month and I haven't been on forums I'm hoping to do more in September.
    When I shouldn't have any excuses. I hope.
  • You already have a compelling character.(He wouldn't have stayed with you otherwise) All you need now are some situations to put him and obstacles for him to overcome. Challenge him and he will respond. Let him guide your story. All the best and good luck with it.
  • He's not my main character is the problem. So I'm trying to figure it out. He's a character who is similar to one I wrote in a short story and I was going to write a novel or bunch of stories with him in but now he's connected to this new idea I have. But he's not the main character
    The problem I'm having is viewpoint, I've still a lot of research or planning to do I've done nothing but make brief notes and think about it, nothing is organised. But I prefer third person where you are sticknig with one character. I'm trying to figure out a way for it to fit but I won't be writing it for a month or two I need time to sort things out
    This time I wrote the idea and I've gone back and I don't like it, which I didn't do with my last novel attempt. I might end up starting with no definite plan I'm not sure but I'm not worried. Yet.
  • I'd suggest looking at the market you are aiming for. What's the average length of the books - number of pages x 250 will give an idea of word count. Write an outline of the story. Break it down into chapters. Twenty five chapters is a reasonable start as you can change this if you feel you need more or see how many chapters are in books in your genre. Add a few lines of what is required in each chapter along with any research that needs to be done. Outline your characters and then get writing.