Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Montholon has news!!!

edited July 2015 in Writing
It's been a long time coming, but my first novel 'Shadows of the Past' is finally out there, available as a paperback or ebook. Set over three time periods in a fictitious French village, it centres
around the disappearance of three English schoolgirls in the mid 1960s. The mystery has its roots in the dark days of WW2 and the German Occupation, but the story isn't all doom and gloom. There is also romance and quite a lot of humour. Those of you who know me personally, might also be interested to know that some of it - the romance, anyway - is partly autobiographical and the young man in the photo on the cover was... Well, let's say that he inspired one of the main characters! Copies will be available at Swanwick and a couple of celebrations are planned for later on in August. Any Talkbackers within range of Ripon or York will be more than welcome. Details on www.maggiecobbett.co.uk

Comments

• How exciting!
  • Great news!
  • Yay! Well done.
  • Well done to you!
  • Well done. Will order my copy. Enjoy Swanwick. Wish I was going.
  • Congratulations. :)
  • Thanks, all. It's great to know that I have your support.
  • Decided to treat myself - hope to begin reading it this evening.

:bz
  • Splendid news, Motholon, which gives all of us renewed hope!

May it do well and shoot to the top of the charts.
  • I've treated myself also.
    Smashing news and by the look of the review a gripping story.
    Congratulations M.
  • Congratulations, Montholon - hope your book does well!
  • Congratulations, M! It looks fab, love the cover.
  • Congratulations, Maggie. It's a great cover. Sounds like an interesting story, too.
  • Thanks again, everyone. Apart from putting the final touches to the course I'm running at Swanwick, it's all I can think about at the moment.
  • Congratulations on your new arrival!
  • Well done!
  • Congratulations and good luck with sales.
  • Very pleased with the way it's going and we're still three weeks away from the official launch. Do remember my invitation to join us for what will be quite a knees up!
  • Well done!
  • That's really exciting. Well done.
  • So delighted with my first 5* review that I have to share it with you all.

***** Amazon review
    Rural France has long been an inspiration for writers. Flaubert’s MADAME BOVARY originated in Normandy. Simenon set much of his Maigret series of detective novels in the seedy underbelly of Paris but his stories acquired a whole new perspective when they transferred to the countryside. More recently, Joanne Harris gave us a taste of what goes on beyond the confines of the capital in CHOCOLAT and its sequels, THE LOLLIPOP SHOES and PEACHES FOR MONSIEUR LE CURE. These novels are generally held to show there is a darker side to life in the French provinces but in her debut novel, Maggie Cobbett takes that one step further as SHADOWS OF THE PAST explores it to the full.
    We know right from the start that there’s something nasty in the woodshed – the dramatic prologue tells us to expect it. So when Laura Fitzgerald sets out on what she hopes is a pleasant and informative tour of France in her new Triumph Spitfire we know she’s heading for trouble. We’re soon introduced to the families Binard and Gaudet and the questions begin to rack up – who’s hiding what from whom and why? And when young Daisy and her friends arrive on the scene, we fear for them and the story starts to crackle with an underlying tension. If you go down in the woods today…
    After setting out the scene in the first half of the book, things quickly gather pace as the secrets begin to tumble out in the second. Someone is going to die – but who will it be? Daisy? Her friends? Or will it be Laura herself who fails to survive and escape the retentive clutches of Saint-André-la-Forêt? But as compelling as this mystery may at first appear, SHADOWS OF THE PAST is more than just a thriller – it’s also a social history of provincial France for the fifty year period beginning just before World War Two. Unlike the countryside in which it’s set, the book is densely populated with a myriad of interesting characters, each of whom has an agenda of their own – some of which are not entirely pleasant.
  • Great review. Looks like a perfect summer holiday read.
  • C2C2
    edited August 2015
    It is - all we want is an equally exciting summer to go with it :)
    The mention of the artist Alfred Sisley brought a smile to my face,
    one of my favourite artists. The vision of his paintings of rural France added an extra dimension to the story.
  • Thank you, Maro. I've always been a fan of the Impressionists, hence Laura's quest. The launches will feature some music from the different time periods in the story as well. I've loved Françoise Hardy's 'Tous les garçons et les filles' ever since I was at school, which is why Daisy and her friends sing it on the bus on their first day in France. Edith Piaf, another favourite, gets a mention later on with her 'Je ne regrette rien'. (For copyright reasons, unfortunately, I was only able to quote the titles.)
  • I have learnt a little French many year ago when I visited Lille and hope to return in the near future to visit the old part as it was a coal mining area many year ago.
    I don't believe I have heard the Francoise Hardy song, but is this a near translation - For the young men and young ladies :)
    However the Edith Piaf song brings goosebumps to my skin, and I do like to sing along to it - as much as I can.
    From the hands of the Impressionists the people and street - life in France and many other parts of the world, came a wonderful plethora of colour and energy.

• Just for you, Maro! (As you know, Daisy got her wish!)

Tous les garçons et les filles de mon âge
    Se promènent dans la rue deux par deux
    Savent bien ce que c'est qu'être heureux
    Et les yeux dans les yeux, et la main dans la main
    Ils s'en vont amoureux sans peur du lendemain
    Oui mais moi, je vais seule par les rues, l'âme en peine
    Oui mais moi, je vais seule, car personne ne m'aime

Mes jours comme mes nuits
    Sont en tous points pareils
    Sans joies et plein d'ennuis
    Personne ne murmure je t'aime à mon oreille

Font ensemble des projets d'avenir
    Savent très bien ce qu'aimer veut dire
    Et les yeux dans les yeux, et la main dans la main
    Ils s'en vont amoureux sans peur du lendemain
    Oui mais moi, je vais seule par les rues l'âme en peine
    Oui mais moi, je vais seule, car personne ne m'aime

Mes jours comme mes nuits
    Sont en tous points pareils
    Sans joies et pleins d'ennuis
    Quand donc pour moi brillera le soleil?

Comme les garçons et les filles de mon âge
    Connaîtrais-je bientôt ce qu'est l'amour?
    Comme les garçons et les filles de mon âge
    Je me demande quand viendra le jour
    Où les yeux dans ses yeux et la main dans sa main
    J'aurai le coeur heureux sans peur du lendemain
    Le jour où je n'aurai plus du tout l'âme en peine
    Le jour où moi aussi j'aurai quelqu'un qui m'aime.

Taken from http://lyricstranslate.com/en/tous-les-garcons-et-les-filles-all-boys-and-girls.html#ixzz3hrkJZ8XE
  • C2C2
    edited August 2015
    Ah, pretty close with the translation, ;))

Thank you very much for the words of the song. I will print them out
    and will find the tune to go with it. And on my journey through France I will
    happily sing it to myself.
    Many Thanks M.

Her Classic Debut Album with this song is available from iTunes.
    One for my ipod.

• I've been singing it myself lately and, oh, so many memories flooded back of happy times in France as a teenager!
  • When did Maro become C2, and why? What did I miss?
  • Oh. I just thought C2 was AN Other.

Finished montholon's book last night - hope to post a (very brief) review later.
  • So did I, Baggy, then Month is saying thanks to Maro so I assume they're one and the same?
  • Great news, Montholon! And congrats on the fantastic reviews as well :D
  • Maro is C2.

• Who's Icy then?
  • Yes, its me. Thought I'd have a change.
    Its all official, the boss change it for me.
  • I liked Maro.
    *feels unsettled*
  • (((Tiny Nell))) there, there, now.
  • Very grateful for the 4* and 5* reviews posted on the UK and US Amazon sites. I've just got back from Swanwick and was quite tearful when I read them. Because the novel has an autobiographical element (see above) it's very dear to my heart and I just wish that the real Jean-Claude, to whom it's dedicated, had lived to see it published.
  • Ripon launch very successful yesterday. Next stop York next Saturday afternoon. Any Talkbackers interested and available are very welcome to come along for free refreshments, a little French music and maybe even a reading or too. Please contact me for directions if you'd like to join in.
  • Launches now complete. If you'd like to see the photos, please take a look at www.maggiecobbett.co.uk