Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Print on Demand

edited August 2015 in Writing
Does anyone have a recommendation regarding print on demand books? I am looking to get my book printed as a few hard copies and also self-publishing as an e-book. It is travel memoir genre and I really want to put a few colour photos in it. The last thing I want is to get involved in a dodgy contract or make the mistake of choosing a company who rip me off. Any advice would be most welcome!

Comments

• I only have experience with Createspace (Amazon). It's possible to include photos, but not something I've done myself.

The advantage with them is that you have no up front printing costs (or any other costs if you do everything yourself) and anyone who wants a copy will easily be able to order it and have it delivered - you don't have to ask for money or trek to the post office.
  • Colour photos work very well in CreateSpace books - but the slice of the royalty pie is tiny. It won't matter how many colour photos are inside, one is enough to affect the figures, so you can add as many as you like. The good thing is you won't have to pay up front for any costs - and you can make changes whenever you like. There's no 'contract'. Send me a message if you'd like more info.
  • Thanks, folks. Sorry for the delayed response but I am a carer for my mother who has been in hospital. I will have a look at Createspace.
  • Another option is Ingram Spark. They are easy to set up if you know InDesign. They do charge to upload, but their distribution is really good. I've just had a colour picture book done and I'm really pleased with the standard of it.