Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Unexplained and never explained

edited August 2015 in Writing
Only excuse for putting this here is that it was a writing exercise though obviously not a story, as such, suitable for last months competition. However, perhaps some one can PLEASE EXPLAIN.

Unexplained.
Nobody will ever explain to me why banks charge a $500 fee for initiating and/or granting one a mortgage. And, believe me, I have asked.
Banks are in the business of borrowing money from the public and then lending it to someone else for a higher percentage than they paid for it. I have no problem with that. It is no different from any retailer purchasing goods and distributing them at a greater price. Someone has to do it and it is a way to make a living.
When one applies to a bank for a mortgage their only consideration is to whether you are going to pay it back or not. It is someone's job to assess that. In this day and age , five minutes should cover that. Apart from that, just someone doing their job, the only other expenses are sheets of paper. The contracts have been written well in the past and only require printing out and no other expenses are involved. So why the fee. It is charging customers to come into their money shop.
Perhaps they print on very expensive paper. I don't care what they do, but just explain it.

Comments

• $500 for a mortgage evaluation in New Zealand? Sounds a bit outrageous. Do they do that in other countries too I wonder?
  • I don't care what they do.
    Don't you?

Why write this then ;)
  • The banks here in Tenerife charge 250 euros to clear a Bankers' Certified Cheque. That's a cheque that's GUARANTEED not to bounce - 'As good as cash' I have heard them called - and yet they take THREE working days to clear it and charge as well.
    Feckin' robbers!!
  • edited August 2015
    '
  • Four!!! I am giving up and switching off Talkback NOW!
  • Johnnywriter: I will never want to borrow from a bank again so it really doesn't affect me what they charge. However, all my life I have wanted to know about this charge but no one , least of all a bank officer, can explain it to me. I just hoped with the world-wide web and all the expertise that is out there that SOMEONE could explain it to me.
    Apart from the fact that it is a racket, of course.
  • And that sums it up nicely.
  • And that sums it up nicely.
    Yep, they make the charge because they can.

It's a bit like the letters they send people to say they're slightly overdrawn. There's a charge for sending the letter and then charges for the overdraft and soon a miscalculation or oversight on the customer's part results in a massive debt they can't shift.

Those bonuses have to be funded somehow.