Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Writing is a lonely profession

edited September 2015 in Writing
I have recently started to write short stories, but being out in the wilds of Shropshire I can't find a Writing Club locally. The nearest one is 25 miles away and meet on a Saturday, which is the one day that I can't make. My wife is very supportive but her life is horses and competing and really doesn't give me unbiased feedback. Has anyone any ideas. All comments would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Online communities can be just as helpful and fun. Join as many as you can and see which one works for you. The best thing about them is people aren't as upset if you join and suddenly stop going - so join them all and stick with the best ones :)

You'll get new friends, tips, links to articles, offers of beta readers and more from them all...won't be long before you'll be begging to be alone with your writing once more :P
  • Welcome!

"You'll get new friends, tips, links to articles, offers of beta readers and more from them all..."

And you'll meet people like me.

>-)
  • You could start your own. I can't imagine many writers in the UK are more than 10 miles away from several others.

And hi.
  • Hello. :)

And we have the One Word Competition each month. See the sticky thread at the top of the board. :)
  • Hi.

br is right (this is TB - anything can happen) If you can't get to a 'real' group, try some virtul ones.
  • Hi and welcome, David. I used to live in the wilds of Fiji and this forum was my online lifeline!
  • David, I'm in France. I've met people on this site that have helped enormously just by being other writers who understand the insanity of what we do. Mr Bear renovates houses round me, but he is very supportive of my work. He always knew he'd married someone odd so he can't complain now!
    If you want feedback in general, here's the place.
    If you want to post work, try the Writers and Artists Yearbook site - https://www.writersandartists.co.uk/community
    If you write a particular genre, look for Facebook groups, or get hold of a copy of Writing Magazine and see if there are any good links there.
    Writing is a solitary occupation, but it need not be lonely.
  • edited September 2015
    When I moved to a hamlet in the wilds 2010 I joined U3A, and started a Writers' Group. After a year my membership of U3A lapsed, but my group continued until Christmas 2014.
  • Have you tried google?
  • I run The Worcester U3A group. We cater for all standards.
    Try this for Shropshire, the new season is just starting.

www.u3a.org.uk/u3a_group/site/countySearch.php?
  • How did you get on Davidmcg, with googling etc?

Well, that's me done on TB for now. Back to the daily grind.

*slopes off, with one last glance over shoulder, to tune of 'All By Myself' ....*