Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Oh What a Beautiful Morning!

edited September 2015 in Writing
Post Mills are it, especially, in sunshine. I rambled around inside, and out taking pics, and making notes, whilst listening to the owner's commentary. Bought a bag of flour ( probably, MacDougal's! ). Now I feel part of a historic era, and 2015 seems weird.

Comments

• Have you just visited a flour mill? I went to one earlier in the year on the way to something else (water not post) and found it a lot more interesting than I'd expected.
  • We have one in Stur - and sell the flour in the museum's shop.
  • I visited a water mill in York a long time ago, and a windmill on the Isle of Wight- no flour from the latter, but there was from the former.
  • edited September 2015
    I went to the Stanton Post Mill, at Mill Farm. Linda and her husband who are the owners mill the flour. The weatherborded mill is much bigger than their house, and oh so picturesque! Socking great main post and old, wooden ladders. Before the fan tail was invented the miller had to turn the buck by means of a beam, manually, into the wind. ( He would have been a muscle bound pud ).
    An economy that was dependent on the wind must have been a challenge though. Linda said, that the old miller used to get up in the night to work, and was often paid in kind.
    P.S. There's a, beautifully, restored water mill at Thorrington, near Colchester, Essex Phots Moll.
  • I've visited quite a lot of mills both wind and water powered. At one windmill in Lincolnshire that still milled flour we commented on the possible lack of wind and we were told you only need a speed of 15mph to be able to mill and that in a very strong wind it wasn't possible to mill due to the possibility of the mill catching fire. Worth looking out for Mill weekends in May (second Sunday) if you are interested as some not normally open to the public also open, including a number under restoration which means you can see the structures more clearly. I've gathered quite a collection of flour bags from all the mills visited that produce flour. Recently went to stainsby Mill, part of the Hardwick Hall estate in Derbyshire and also run by NT, and the talk there was one of the best we have heard.
  • It was the Stainsby Mill we went to. We were on our way to Hardwick Hall and passed it so thought we might as well take a quick look.

The man giving the talk was really interesting. So much so the Hall was closed when we got there! (we did get to see the gardens and old hall though)
  • edited September 2015
    Apparently, flour explodes on contact with heat. A tide mill would, probably, have been the easiest to manage, and the most profitable providing there were enough customers.
    According to sources, all parishes had a mill or mills. So they must have been viable, as well as the inspiration behind songs, and fairy tales.
  • Tide mills would not have been much fun when the tide turned in the middle of the night. As I understand it they only worked on the ebbing tide and for around five hours each tide - whenever that happened to occur. A watermill has a steady constant flow. Mills were indeed an essential part of any community as you say Patricia, often more than one in a community.
  • They need to stop building all these wind farms - it's windy enough!
  • edited September 2015
    "The white and wading water mill," at Halstead added, significance to the Courtauld account I believe, but what happened, when the millstream dried up during a long, hot, summer or flooded during the winter? They were out of spuds!
    Interesting setting for a hist. nov.