Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Indents

edited September 2015 in Writing
I know that the first paragraph is never indented, but what if it is speech?

I never indent on the first line, dialogue or not.

Comments

• I'm the same
  • edited September 2015
    Even if it's speech, it's not indented. If there's a house style, stick to it, but otherwise, don't let the pesky dialogue get away with special treatment. If it wants to be a first line, it can darned well behave like one.
  • Thank you, ladies.

You* do things for so long in a particular way, then someone else does it differently and you start to doubt yourself.

For you*, read 'I'.
  • But what size would the indents be? I've seen some massive ones and they look terrible. 5mm is nice and cute.
  • edited September 2015
    I've no idea what mine are set as.

They say '0' - which is patently a lie.
  • Bigger is not always better.
  • I set mine at 0.7 - the default is 1.27 which seems way too far over on the page.
  • edited September 2015
    I agree, Claudia. That's far too deep.

Subtle indents are easier on the eye. '0' is perhaps too subtle.
  • So, Baggy, what is industry standard for indents?
  • Depends on the particular style. Font is also something to consider. Large font/small font - all elements can affect the look.
  • edited September 2015
    I always use 12 point Times New Roman double-spaced, unless something different is required.

I don't like small indents personally.
  • Sounds fine when it's a WIP, I wouldn't worry.

I always work in 12 TNR - easier to spot lots of issues that other fonts hide.

Small indents suit Kindles etc.
  • Page size matterstoo, I think. On an A4 sheet it might look better to have a slightly bigger indent than for a standard sized paperback book?
  • A4 is just for the WIP, isn't it?

You should set the page so it's easier to manage, but when you're looking at moving it to the next stage, fonts and formatting will need to be addressed.
  • I submit to magazines and enter competitions on A4. An mss to a publisher or an agent is usually submitted on A4 too.
  • I see what you mean. I was considering the self-publishing layout.
  • I don't indent on a WIP (of any length) but have a blank line between each paragraph. For me that's easier to read on the screen. I read through again after formatting and seeing it laid out differently helps me spot more errors (although not all obviously!)
  • I like to indent because I can check the dialogue easier.

Not that I've written much lately.
  • Okay, so according to Google WIP means work in progress and TNR means trap, neuter, return. Sooo - no, don't get it.
  • Times New Roman, Ana. ;))

But I prefer your interpretation.
  • TNR means trap, neuter, return.
    That's what it means regarding spammers. With writers it's just a font.
  • A font could be something writers do to spammers?
  • Always use the settings on the computer for indents, never just use the space bar for a multiple number of spaces.
  • Good point, Mutley. I've stopped using tabs, too.
  • I've never indented, just left a blank line, like PM. What happens if you do that?
  • The blank line should be OK, Liz if that's how you want it to look.

Using the space bar can produce weird results if anyone makes changes to the document eg changes the font or page size as the spaces won't then be in the correct place.

I used to use the tab key, but am trying to train myself not to.
  • Instead of leaving a blank line, set the paragraph spacing to 12pt after as this can be changed globally within the document rather than having to delete those pesky blanks by hand.
  • Mike is right - don't leave additional blank lines in documents. Use the computer as a computer and not as a typewriter. There are inbuilt functions in word processing packages to do these things then the recipient can reset to their choosing easily. If you use blank lines they have to take each one out individually, same for spaces and tabs. You are also better to avoid 'fancy' fonts or anything larger than 12pt except for the title. Never put the page number in the text where your page ends as it will be different according to the recipients margins. Only ever put page numbering in using the footer function. Oh it could go on... sorry - what was the question? ;)