Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Blog and Website colour schemes

edited September 2015 in Writing
Having surrendered the right to call myself 'expat' I will soon be starting a new blog and would welcome opinions on colour schemes.
I read several blogs each week - some regularly and some cherry-picked from the Friday Fictioneers list - and some of those I can't read at all.
Black on white or pale grey are impossible for me and some fonts are too fancy.
I'm not keen on the patchwork effect on layouts either.
What do others think?

Edited to add that I meant white on black!

Comments

• I don't have any trouble with black on white (do you find my blog difficult to read?) but I agree that fancy fonts make it hard work and I'm not keen of the patchwork look either.

I don't like any flashing or moving images either. An appropriate video clip would be OK, but not those giff things or anything else which you can't turn off.
  • edited September 2015

Black on white or pale grey are impossible for me and some fonts are too fancy.
    I'm not keen on the patchwork effect on layouts either.
    What do others think?
    Do you mean you can't read black type on a white background? Most blogs I read - including my own are mainly black type on white backgrounds. Do you find mine hard to read?
    I agree about fancy fonts - I prefer to keep things simple.
    Too much background colour can be difficult on the eyes. Your current blog title with the green leafy background is quite hard to read.
    I've kept my general background almost, but not quite, monotone as I think it's easier on the eye, but perhaps you think it's too plain?
    PM has posted while I was writing this - I agree with her regarding flashing and moving images - they are horribly distracting.

Edited to add: I assume you can't be talking about black type on a white background because I've just looked at your current blog again and yours is 'black on white' - so I'm a bit confused as to what you mean

• I've got a murky grey white background to my black text. I tried lots of background colours but the paler tones seem to work better.
  • Lizy, you could become the ex-ex-pat
  • Lizy, double-ex-pat, licensed to thrill.
  • Lizy, XXPat. No - sounds like extra large Pat.
    Lizy Home Bird? Lizy, Landed? Lizy re-pat?
  • Return of the Ex-Pat, you know using the idea of Hardy's title Return of the Native. :)
  • edited September 2015
    White on black.
    That's what I meant.
    I've changed the original post now.

Thick-Lizy might be the most appropriate title - it does have a certain ring to it!
  • White on black is harder to read than black on white.

I wonder why that is? The contrast is the same. Could it just be that we're used to reading black on white?