Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Which book cover?

edited September 2015 in Writing
I'm not sure if this will work, but if you have a minute, I'd be very grateful if you could have a look at two book cover designs I have posted on FB:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100008542655055

and vote for the one you prefer by clicking 'like'. You are very welcome to leave a comment if you wish. Maybe neither is suitable...

It is to replace a cover I currently have for a children's book. The blurb is included on the post. I'm sorry, but I don't know how to post the pictures here.

Thanks, chums.

Comments

• My only question is: what is that thing next to the horse in the left hand picture?

Really wish you could merge the two together...
  • Do you mean the oval thing? It's the moon, but could echo the crystal ball motif. I can't make it round as I stretched the picture!
  • Horse? Horse? I thought we were supposed to be looking at covers for Martha and Mitch - of which I found three versions, not two.

*retreats confused - clearly not au fait with facebook*

• edited September 2015
    I thought it might be a glass egg. If it's a moon then you might be better off making it a crescent moon.
    The crystal ball idea would only work for those who are old, not young.
  • Claudia, Martha and Mitch was the one I was working on first. I'm nearly there with that one. I've simplified it completely. It's somewhere on FB!

Now I'm looking at Glass Dreams and Salt (which I've just finished, but haven't yet posted).

Carol, I'm unable to change the moon shape as it's part of the photograph.
  • Right. Then I much prefer the green cover of the two.
  • Thank you, Carol.

I've now put other covers up so you'll have to scroll down a bit to see Glass Dreams.
  • The one on the right, but don't like the title, it is very unclear what it's supposed to be and definitely doesn't remind me of salt...
  • You don't like the book title or the font used for the book title, Liz?
  • Font! And what it's on... Mind you, I don't know what the book is about. but it definitely looks woody instead of salty which is annoying to my brain.
  • It reminded me of shipwreck debris. It's set at Salt Guesthouse which is in a coastal town called Pirates' Cove.
  • Will you be selling on Amazon? If so, before you decide look at them the size they show there.
  • Shipwreck debris would be very dark wood, and tarred to stop water coming in, not like new wood at all.
  • (But then, I am very literal, but still think it's a big jump from boat debris tho what looks like carved wood on a book title)
  • It doesn't look like shipwreck wood to me either - but does that matter? The cover is to attract readers and hint at the type of book it will be - not to tell the story in pictorial form.
  • Yes, PM, they will be on Amazon. In fact, they already are, but I want to update the covers.
  • Sometimes things show up better or worse than you'd expect in the smaller size.
  • Yes, I'll have to stand at the back of the room and see how they look!