Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

What to Tell a Potential Agent

edited September 2015 in Writing
Hello all.

I haven't posted here before, but I have been a lurker for some time. I have a question that I'd like to ask. I'm getting close to that scary 'approaching an agent for the first time' moment, and whilst I'm still carefully going through the W&A yearbook searching for suitable agents to approach, I'm already preparing my introductory letter.

I would like to know your opinion on the following: should I mention in my letter that the sample I am submitting would be from the first part of an ongoing series, for which I have rough outlines for at least six books? Is that a plus or a minus when first approaching an agent?

The books are historical fiction.

I'd be very grateful for your insights. Thank you.

Comments

• A plus. With both an agent and a publisher. No-one wants to back one book writer. They need a series because taking you on is a big investment.

Welcome.
  • Hi Smetcher the lurker.

I agree with Liz. Make sure it's clear the book works as a stand alone as well though.
  • Hello, Smethcher.
  • Excellent. That's the answer I was hoping to receive, and yes, Phots Moll, that's a good point, too. Many thanks.
  • Hello, Carol.
  • Hi Smetcher. I agree with the others - from what I've read on the matter, agents like to know you're not a one book wonder. Good luck.
  • Hello, Smetcher. Make sure there are no typos in your letter, no grammar glitches, and that it all makes perfect sense. First impressions may be last impressions if you aren't meticulous.
    Writers and Artists' website has advice about how to write such a letter, and this month's WM has an article about how to write a synopsis. Important to get it right.
    Now, back to work - you've got six novels to write!
  • Agree with all the above! Good luck!
  • Hi, agree with all the above. Knock 'em dead.
  • this month's WM has an article about how to write a synopsis. Important to get it right.
    Just received this month's issue. I'll be sure to check that out. One of the agents I'm looking at asks for a 'full synopsis' on their website. I have written a 5,000 word chapter-by-chapter synopsis - is that too much? It seems a bit 'weighty' for an introduction.

• It may be that they're making sure people send an actual synopsis, complete with ending rather than a blurb. I agree 5,000 seems long. Usual advice is to go for one or two pages - unless they specify something else of course.
  • That's the problem, they don't specify. :-(. I'll write a cut-down version of my whopper, but longer than the 500 words that some specify. Thanks.
  • I think a 'full synopsis' means you must tell the entire plot, but not in 5000 words. Practise the art of precis, and if you can get it onto one page, even better. I cheat a little and use 1.5 spacing for my synopses to keep them down to one page.
  • Welcome Smetcher - one more thing you'll need a hook on your email to catch the agents attention.
  • 5000 words would put them off. It needn't be chapter by chapter but it does have to tell the whole story, especially of the main character. Usually one or two pages of A4, though can be single spaced (unless the agent says otherwise). The point is to show that you have a good and complete plot, a grabbing beginning and satisfactory end, and no soggy bits in the middle. Like a good lunch, really.
  • :) 'Like a good lunch'. I like that. That's what I'll strive for! I'm condensing my chapter-by-chapter synopsis, trying to boil down each chapter to an essential one or two lines. It seems to be working.

Truly - thank you everyone for your great advice, I am grateful.