Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

What's the best writing software for short story's

edited October 2015 in Writing
Hi everyone, Does anyone know some good writing software they could recommend? I am looking for something simple that I can use for my short story's for competitions throughout the year. Ideally one with a built in calendar would be prefect to keep track of competition deadlines as there are so many different competitions to enter. Any advice would be great :-)

Comments

• You mean for recording them, rather than writing them?
  • I was hoping to find something that I could use to write the short story's in and then print off/ e-mail to enter into competitions but also with a built in calendar so I can keep track of competition deadlines.

I was planning on entering all the competition dates for short story competitions throughout 2016 into the calendar, hopefully setting reminders throughout the year so I can keep up to date with them all and using the same programme to write the actual story's so that everything is in one place. I think I may be looking for something that isn't out there, I may be better just getting a good pc calendar and sticking with Microsoft Word?
  • I've never heard of anything which will do that. Tht doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

You could just jot down reminders in a diary or on a paper calendar.
  • Yes I think I will just end up getting a nice diary instead, I thought I might be asking a lot :-)
  • I bought a PC cd- rom a few years ago, Write your own Novel. GPS £9.99
    Easy to use.
    It can help with character names. Allows you to adjust and track events, dates
    and characters. It has a section for ideas. It can also generate ideas for inspiration, if you are having an off day :-?
    When you have finished your story you can export it to become a formatted manuscript style, ready to send off for publication.
    It also keep records of where and who you have sent your story/s to.
    It has a few other features.
    I bought this at Curry's PC world.
  • That's great thank you for letting me know I will see if this is what I am after. Thanks to everyone for their help :-)
  • I currently use Scrivener which I find useful for keeping track of lots of different pieces of information but it doesn't have a calendar function. Write your own Novel sounds very impressive!
  • C2C2
    edited October 2015
    Just to let you know, at the moment it is too advanced for me, as I wont be sending off anything too invigorating for a few years yet :-< and if this disc is no longer available you are most welcome to it, LC.
  • I think you should hold on to your disc, C2.

You and I both know your short story writing has shown if you keep at it you can improve on original attempts.

If you've started a novel C2 then I suggest you keep working on that as well. You may not want to send anything off at the moment but who knows what you could achieve a little way into the future.
  • Me, too. C2, you have the ability to write, and with humour and sensitivity. Don't write yourself off like that, a few years indeed. You'd be surprised at how far you can climb and improve in just months if you are challenged.
  • C2C2
    edited October 2015
    Thank you very much ladies.
    Wonderful encouragement indeed.
    I down loaded the programme onto my pc and the disc is idle in
    a draw, I'm sure I read it could be used twice.
    This is the web page.
    www.avanquest.co.uk.
  • Drawer! (Confusion about this spelling is because you draw it in and out, but in the old days you'd say it was a draw-er.)
  • Nowt gets past you, Liz :)>- a glaring mistake.
    Must pay more attention...now where have I read that (many times) before.
  • I find remembering the reason the best way with spelling. I find spelling hard - for some reason harder now than I used to! I keep having to look things up...