Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Tablet/ ipad

edited November 2015 in Writing
I was wondering dose anyone use there tablet / iPad for writing on. if yes what make do you have and what programme do you use on it to write. And also how do you store files.

Comments

• edited November 2015
    I have a kindle fire and got an app that would allow me to write if need-be, but not used it yet.

• I have a Samsung Tab3 and could write on it, but the only time I did was a 100 word story on the memo bit.
    The keyboard is no good for 10 finger typing
  • I have an ipad - it is great for writing, you write in the Apple version of Word, which is very easy, and when you export the file you can send it to your computer as a Word file. It stores things in icloud or on the ipad.

You can also buy a separate wireless keyboard and use that instead of the built in one that appears when you start writing.

But I would most assuredly not get an ipad instead of a computer - only as an add-on.
  • Thanks everyone
  • I bought a Surface Pro 3 a couple of months ago. I've only just started to use it for writing but it seems as good as a laptop so far (helped greatly by the cover, which acts as a decently sized keyboard when you open it up).

It runs the full suite of MS Office programmes, so I just use Word. I'm planning to put Scrivener on it though to see if that works as well. If it does, I'll shift everything across from the laptop. The best thing about it is the portability. It's a bit bigger than an iPad but not much heavier than a thick(ish) A4 notepad.

At the moment I'm just saving stuff on its internal hard drive, but you can save to USB, cloud storage, micro SD cards, etc.
  • I used to use Storyist on an iPad. It synchronised perfectly with my Mac.
    I found the typing a little wearing - so I bought a bluetooth keyboard.

I looked at it one day and thought "I have created a new thing! I shall call it a laptop." Regrettably it seems someone got there first.

As Liz said, to supplement a computer, it can work.