Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Tips for Getting into Flow

edited November 2015 in Writing
As a professional writer, it's rare we have the luxury to ONLY write when we feel inspired, in the mood and the creative juices are flowing, but I seem to be going through an extended dry-patch where that state of focus that psychologists call "flow" has flown!

Any tips on how to get the mojo back? What do you do when you just can't seem to get in the writing mood?
Tagged:

Comments

• I read. Read something that is written by the very best in my genre, for a couple of days.

Sometimes I just stay at it, write rubbish, until suddenty I hit the germ of something and realise what I want to write and when I know what i want to write the mojo is back.
  • edited November 2015
    A workshop I was on recommended a number of things.

I) Change your writing location/position/method. e.g. try writing long hand leaning against the kitchen counter if you usually type straight into a laptop on the sofa.
    ii) Create a prompt by opening a book at random pages and choosing the first word you see (not including and, the, it etc obvs!). Pick three or four words like this
    iii) Just write something inspired by or including those words. Don't try to write a story, just write something, without stopping, without thinking, without editing and see where it takes you. (Like Liz said, really!)

I have written several stories by using that method - though with plenty of editing after the initial event!

• Don't sit at the computer. Ignore the darned thing. Go and do something entirely different. Whatever the temptation to go and check mail or FB or even TB, don't give in. You can only go there if you work - got to earn those rewards. A blank screen is either an invitation or a block: if you don't look at it, maybe you'll feel the need to write on it.
  • I notice you are new - welcome. Do introduce yourself on the welcome thread and let us know what you write etc.
  • I go somewhere else preferably outside with a notebook. I start to just describe the surroundings and then normally I start to think of other stuff too.
  • Thanks folks! Those are all good tips. I'm a non-fiction writer, so sometimes pairing creativity with the need to get work done is tough!

"A blank screen is either an invitation or a block" I love that, it's so true!!

• I aim to write for one hour everyday, usually ends up 950-1050 words. I put the online timer on and don't open anything else until that timer goes off.

Recently I felt the same as you and stopped writing for a couple weeks, it felt horrendous. A vicious circle of getting annoyed at yourself for not writing, feeling down and unmotivated because of it, then still not writing and the circle beginning again.

Sometimes a long dog walk helps clear the head and ideas come back. Reading the authors work that inspired me to write, in my case David Gemmell. But I find mostly what helps is taking 5 minutes of silent time before I begin my hour of writing. I open a blank document and in the 5 mins i write a rough guideline of events that i want to happen in the next 1000 words of the book; whether they be big or small happenings.

Hope that helps in some way, shape or form !
  • I usually switch a tap on. That normally does the trick.
  • Refill your creative tanks with new experiences, people, places, culture, whatever. Gets the mind out of a rut.