Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Short Story Writers - Fancy a collaboration?

edited November 2015 in Writing
Hello everyone,

I am more of an artist than a writer, but I have always enjoyed illustration and reading illustrated work.

So... I am after some short stories that I can use for inspiration to create some artwork for. It would be a total collaboration and I have some other artist friends who are interested in doing the same.

Pleas get in touch if you're interested!

Ramon

Comments

• I have lots of short stories (as I'm sure do many other TBers)

How would the collaboration work? Is it just for fun, or are you thinking of producing a book?
  • Hi, Ramon.

Yes, I'd be interested to hear more about it, too.
  • No book.. I would like to put the work online and then promote it from there. If there is a good reception then I would pursue an exhibition. But really the main aim for the work is to help my portfolio, get some exposure (for you and I both), plus I think it would be cool project.

I have worked on collaborations before and really enjoyed... just bringing in the different disciplines.

What might be fun is if you give me a rough idea - no more than an example - of a plot and I quickly create some artwork and upload it somewhere. I'd probably do a collage just for the speed of things, but it would give you an idea of where I'm coming from.

But give me a couple of days and check back!
  • Never mention 'exposure' to a writer- it means, there's no pay in it and I want to use your work for free. X(
  • Deja vu? This sounds very familiar. Different person with a similar request, or have you changed your user name, Ramon?
  • No I haven't... But I'm rather upset with the response because it seems like this has been done before.

I didn't think a book because the cost of printing would be too high. I just worked on a collaboration with a friend who is a photographer to produce what I ended up being a large body of work. Anyway he wanted to print a book to go alongside his exhibition and it worked out at nearly £70 per book. So that's why I don't think a book would work and would do it for exposure... He still did it btw
  • £70 per book? No, that's not practical, is it? I doubt even very well known writers and artists could sell many at that price.
  • It was expensive but it was also a small run and high quality print because it was photography as the main subject and meant to be a collectors item.

Some the shots can be found here:

http://www.messineowyman.com/artists/vickery_boxer.php3?select_id=1725

It was a collaboration with a stylist too, who sadly passed away unexpectedly this year. But it was great to work together on something and not have to do what the client wanted. I want to do something similar because I believe when you put visual art along side words, it will create something with a greater impact. Plus I think the fact that it is a collaboration will draw more attention than doing it solo.

I suppose you could always do an ebook if it worked as no costs are there. Then everyone involved could benefit. But anyway, I've been inboxed an extract so will have something for you all to see soon and we can go from there.
  • If you're open to 'reprints' (i.e. stories that have already been published somewhere but over which the authors still retain copyright), you might find people more willing to take part, Ramon, as you're not asking writers to effectively work for nothing.

Speaking personally, it's always an interesting proposition to give stories another bite of the cherry, so to speak, and potentially get them in front of people who didn't read them the first time.

You'd need to credit the place where the story was first published. It's not a legal requirement or anything, just a matter of courtesy.
  • Yes I am open to reprint and some of the stuff I've been sent is already published. So I've now got a couple of ideas to get me started.

Thanks so much for the input and I hope to get something to show everyone soon.

Also, I've been asked if I'm after a particular style of story and the answer is no. What I'm really exploring is a reaction to the writing... what images it creates in my mind or, hopefully if more artists join, their minds.