Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Glitch or glee?

edited November 2015 in Writing
I've just had 35 paperback sales of the same book. Should I jump for joy, or is this an anomaly? Has anyone else had this happen?

*poises maracas*

Comments

• How strange. Hopefully how lovely as well.
  • If it's a glitch you'll soon find out.

But it could be good too. Which one was it?
  • Take the royalty and run!
  • It was a children's book, Carol - Glass Dreams.

I do hope it's for real. [-O<

It'll push it up the rankings.

But I can't really understand it...
  • Just found a 'detailed report'. They were bought in the U.S.
  • Sounds like a school has bought them for a reading project.
  • That's taking a bit of a leap of faith!
  • Hardly. I expect the teacher has read it or had it recommended.
  • Ooooh.

Whoop whoop de doop.
  • The theme might tie in with a class project - who knows?!
  • Yes, I'd agree sounds like a school purchase.
  • Sounds like a school to me, too.

Is this on Amazon? Sales there don't show up until payment has been processed and books dispatched, so it's likely to be real.
  • It's on my CreateSpace account, PM.
  • Yippee!

*checks the figure is still there... it is*

I still find it very strange how amateur writers get found by strangers. Whatever I did, I wish I could do it again, but I don't know what it was.
  • Fab! Can you send them a message? Offering to answer any questions they may have?
  • I don't know who they are, Liz. All I know is that it was a U.S. sale.
  • Perhaps there'll be a review posted.
  • edited November 2015
    Perhaps... but people generally don't.

It should be made law with strict prison sentences for those who fail to oblige.
  • I do think there's hope you will receive something from them. If they're so committed to the book that they've bought so many, I'm sure that 'writing to the author' will be part of the project. And how excited they'll be when you reply!
  • I'd better buy a multi-pack of Bic pens...
  • Congratulations - that's a brilliant sale (even if you don't know the details)!
  • Congratulations.

It could have been as a result of the Goodreads thing.
  • Congratulations TN!
  • Congratulations.

It could have been as a result of the Goodreads thing.
    I did wonder... but that was really for short story fans. Maybe I banged on a bit too much about other stuff. Saying that, I don't think sales would have shown up so quickly after the interview.

• Congratulations, TN! That's a good result whatever the circumstances behind it. But I can understand the frustration of not knowing who bought them all and why. Maybe you will find out in time - someone may get in touch via your blog, Facebook, etc.

Either way, enjoy your sales success!
  • Ooh, TN - how thrilling!

Imagine a whole class of children discussing your book, and in years to come telling their own children about it. You could become a Legend!
  • well done TN. a snow flake...snowball...avalanche! let's hope so. They may recommend to other schools etc
  • well done TN. a snow flake...snowball...avalanche! let's hope so. They may recommend to other schools etc
  • Ooh, that's excellent news!
    My husband began to say something similar, Bill, but after the allusion to the snowball he burst the bubble by saying that it would melt.

At least I have my TB champions to inject a bit of positivity and enthusiasm into my life!

• If it is a school, as seems likely, it won't just be the one class reading it. Lots of them will, possibly for years to come - and some might want to read your other books.
  • A Tiny Nell Day!
  • If it is a school, as seems likely, it won't just be the one class reading it. Lots of them will, possibly for years to come - and some might want to read your other books.
    Yeah!

A Tiny Nell Day!
    Yeah!

• edited November 2015
    Wow, congratulations on the sale.

Keep us posted if you hear anything further to this.

• Thank you, young dora.

Yes, I will! Don't you worry about that.
  • Nice bit of news, TN.
  • Thank you, C2 (still not used to that name)!
  • No doubt you've thought of this already, TN, but if you post about the sale on your author FB site they may see it. After all, if it IS a school then they're bound to be using t'internet all the time. You could offer to answer questions, like Liz suggests, on there.
  • Actually, I hadn't thought of that, Lizy - but a good tip! Thank you.
  • I wouldn't post about this sale in particular- i would offer 'anyone who buys the book can' ask questions' because otherwise it looks like you have only had one sale to a school.
  • Too late! Just did it.

Oh, it doesn't matter, Liz. I don't want to mislead.
  • I think the teacher would be flattered if they came across the post.
  • I've just been exploring U.S. Author Central and there is a facility on there which shows you exactly where in the U.S. a writer has had sales. There is a map shown with shaded states and on the right is a list of states with a breakdown of sales.

So, still baffled by the above, I had a nose. It seems that that 'big sale' of one book was not due to a sole purchaser after all. There are little biddy sales all over the States from west to east with the highest number (7) in Rochester, New York, and the next (4) in Washington DC. After that, there are sales of 1 or 2 in 13 other states.

It is SO peculiar as to how all those people made that purchase on the same day. I would absolutely LOVE to know how it happened.

Anyway, that's the update. And I'm none the wiser.
  • Intriguing. I wonder if it's some on-line reading group?
  • Or sales are saved up to give to you and the dates aren't accurate.
  • Yes, maybe, and maybe!
  • I think the sales are pretty prompt.
  • I think that's even more exciting, TN!