Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

How to keep on writing a novel

JenJen
edited January 2016 in Writing
I've read so many books on writing and even completed a free course but the problem I have is that I can't carry on writing once I've started. I don't know if it's because I'm not ready to write a novel yet or if maybe I haven't got a good idea but I can't really finish one.
I have done with NaNoWrimo!
At the moment I've read over something and I don't like it, I don't know who my characters are. I'm not a planner really, I plan a bit. Maybe I just need to figure out my process.
I've heard of a course that helps you to continue writing but it's too far away and too expensive. So I'm hoping for advice or a book recommendation ...
Thanks

Comments

• edited January 2016
    I can't carry on writing once I've started.

maybe I haven't got a good idea

I don't know who my characters are. I'm not a planner really, I plan a bit.

I'm hoping for advice

Jen, in response to the above the only advice I can give you is, it helps if you have a passion for or a need to do whatever it is you're doing, in your case aiming to write a novel

I don't think it's a case of 'having a good idea' but more along the lines of caring deeply enough to write about whatever it is you want to write. You would know who your characters are if you cared deeply enough about them/felt passionate/excited about writing their story.

• Why do you stop writing? If you can work that out, you might be able to overcome the issue.

It could be that you're expecting too much of yourself. It takes a long time to complete a novel (my first took me ten years!) and sometimes it'll be easier than others. It's OK to take breaks from it and do something else for a while. That doesn't mean you won't finish it.
  • I have always wanted to write novels, and still do, but after so many false starts that never get beyond the first 2k words I've started writing shorter pieces instead. At least then I can make it to the end of the story! One day perhaps it will progress to novels but for now it's good practice and keeps me writing. Have you tried writing short stories or children's fiction?

As for a book, I would highly recommend reading Stephen King's On Writing if you haven't read it already. I think his advice applies to any genre of writing and it has inspired me enormously.

Good luck!
  • It sounds as though you've got an idea for a plot, but you're trying to fit it around characters that don't belong there. Maybe you are a character-driven novel writer, not a plot-driven one, and that's the problem - you're not putting the people first. A plot, when all's said, is simply a road map. It's the characters who travel along the route who make it interesting.
    Who are they? Where are they from, and why are they there, at that point where your novel starts? What motivates them? Like any criminal, they need means, motive and opportunity to be in your book.
    Do you see through their eyes, or hear their voices, or are they just paper cut-outs being pushed along the route?
    When you learn to drive, you learn how to pass a test: you then go out on the road on your own and it's completely different from taking lessons with another driver beside you ready to leap in if you make a mistake. It's the same with writing courses and instructional books: you can sit there nodding at what's being said, agreeing wholeheartedly: but when it's down to you to put people on pages, no-one is there to prod you or tell you to signal or brake or hang a u-ey (as they say in Australia).
    You've read enough books and done a course - another is going to make no difference. The only way to write is to apply the lessons learned, with some of your own intuition added in. You won't get it right first time - no-one does; but you learn from reading over your work, as you have just done, and recognising the faults.

• If you've read many books on writing and to no avail, then I doubt another book is going to help you.

Try short stories.
  • Jen, I think planning is the key. I had a few failed attempts at completing a novel and I'm sure it was because I didn't have a plan and ran out of plot. When I finally made myself plan the storyline (only in outline & bits of it changed as I went along) I found writing much easier & I was able to complete the novel.
  • Hi Jen,

Novel writing is not easy - I'm currently on my 5th attempt and struggling a bit - maybe you should try breaking the novel up into little sections and jumping around a bit - also some characters appear and disappear when I'm writing - sometimes because I can get another character to do their lines and sometimes because I either don't like them or they don't like me (won't do what they're told!)

I will echo what's already been said on here you need to have a passion for it - someone asked me recently if id always wanted to be a writer and I said not really - when I was younger I wanted to be a musician but somewhere in the last 10 years I developed a passion for writing - it's not always something that comes naturally or easy but like most things in life the more you do it the better you get at it, so just keep writing and somewhere down the kind it'll all click into place.
  • edited January 2016
    For what it's worth, here's my take:

A novel's a big thing to hold in your head (make as many notes as you need) so there's a temptation, when you find yourself at the beginning, to race through to the end, but if you do that, it will fall flat.

You have to slow down to see what is happening at each juncture/hurdle/poignant event, so condense it down to a scene at a time and make sure everything's there to make that scene work. You don't even have to work in chronological order (though I do).

If you can look at it from further back and see it as though you are watching a film, then you will become aware of the details which the reader will find interesting; flesh it out with colour and life, have camera pans and close-ups, character gestures and movement, changes of scene, etc.

You have to allow the characters to become real and three-dimensional, so in your head (bedtime's good for this) spend some time just thinking and watching how they will behave as the story progresses.

It's their behaviour/interaction/reactions which you need to get across. What traits do they have? You don't need to name them, but they might be evident in their behaviour. Even if your characters are currently 2-D, you can edit in idiosyncrasies and re-word their dialogue.

Have you included too many characters?
    Are they acting convincingly enough so that the readers become invested in them? If not, why?
    Is it the dialogue - not enough/too stiff/not differentiated enough?
    Is it the narrative - too many simple sentences/inclusion of irrelevant detail?
    Do you have a rich enough plot, and in unravelling it, do you have a sub-plot? If it's too linear, it can be predictable or boring.

It takes a long time to get a finished product. The advice about trying shorter forms is very wise. Writing of any kind is never wasted. You could put it away for a couple of months and get it out again with renewed enthusiasm and more skill, and suddenly it will all become clear.

Good luck, Jen!!
  • Personally I've found that knowing my characters, or as much as they're willing to reveal by the start, is really helpful.

Sometimes just putting what you know about the main characters on paper, or in a document, and that's enough to start making sense and helping the writing.

It may be that they belong in another story.

Sometimes you need to step away from it and if it's what you need to be writing, it will call to you.

Eventually you have to stop reading the books and just go for it. Write.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, just like Nano.

As you can see we all have different methods and advice.

But the one thing I would say is, don't be scared to say it's not the right time for this story, so I'll do something else for now.

• I'm reading 'Nail Your Novel' (can't think of the author off the top of my head). Anyway, I don't have finished novels as such, but have a lot that I can work with. I am finding it very helpful. I am in the research bit at the minute. I suggest you have a look at that. I have mine on Kindle, don't know how much it is, or if it is available on Unlimited, but you can get a hard copy too.

If it's any consolation, my story is ten years old. It was just a mish mash, and needs straightening out.
  • Thanks for all the advice. I think at some point writing became something I wanted to be successful at and I lost the fun of it. I've had this novel idea for a while and yes I think my characters are the problem. Good advice Mrs Bear! It's good to know that I'm not the only one struggling and maybe I should just stay with short stories and maybe plan and think about this idea that I have until I have that passion for the characters.
    I am being too hard of myself after a very stressful two months or so of work. I'll take all this advice and try some short fiction instead. I'm trying to do too much too soon.
    I do have two novels in my head waiting to be written but I guess they'll wait
  • I'm reading 'Nail Your Novel' (can't think of the author off the top of my head). Anyway, I don't have finished novels as such, but have a lot that I can work with. I am finding it very helpful. I am in the research bit at the minute. I suggest you have a look at that. I have mine on Kindle, don't know how much it is, or if it is available on Unlimited, but you can get a hard copy too.

If it's any consolation, my story is ten years old. It was just a mish mash, and needs straightening out.
    I think this could be it?http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nail-Your-Novel-Writers-Confidence-ebook/dp/B004LROOEQ
    Looks good anyway
  • I found this book brilliant, both at helping with productivity and also general plotting etc.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/2k-10k-Writing-Faster-Better-ebook/dp/B009NKXAWS
  • This book seems interesting but I don't really like the idea of plotting out every scene like this author does, I'd rather write and let the ideas I have mix with whatever else happens naturally
  • You don't have to follow the book's plan exactly.

I have a copy of the Marshall Plan for Novel Writing and while bits of it are helpful and have really worked well, a lot of it doesn't work for me so I ignore those bits and do things my own way.

You need to decide what things work for you and stay with those bits, but try other things.

Write down the ideas you have and go from there. :)
  • I try to plan best I can but then I feel am restricted. Has any one started with like a line of conversation and work from them then returned and filled in the beginning?
  • The line of dialogue can be your opening line if you wish it to be, elizabeth.
  • edited January 2016
    The main thing I found with to keep writing a novel is to not stop writing. Don't stop to edit. Don't stop to research. Just write. Don't try to control the characters - if you find a secondary character is pushing who you thought was your main to the back, let them! It may just be their story after all (this has happened to one of mine and Loz's books).

If the characters are the problem, 'interview' them. Who are they? What do they want? Why are they 'here'?

I went to a Q&A with author Simon Toyne last year and he gave the advice of not stopping to research. He said instead make a guess (or even make it up if you think you're doing that) but either write it in ALL CAPS or in bold. Then once you come back to read/edit it you can locate those bits easily and research and see how much (if anything) you need to change. He said sometimes he's terribly wrong and changes, others he was close so just tweaked a bit to tighten the explanation. Others the real researched bit was so boring and didn't help plot that he took that 'creative licence' and helped the story (but only if it wasn't ridiculously inaccurate.)

Hope some of the above helps. I would say just write and don't worry about what you're writing. Scenes can be written out of order, characters can change throughout - as our writing mentor said to us constantly "Writing is re-writing" - drafts are just that, try not to get caught up too much about if the writing is good or bad or makes sense in the first draft. Just try to get from what seems to be the beginning to what (hopefully) is that end.
    But sometimes your ending might be stuck in the middle. (Ours was for 'The Soul Caller', the eventual end scene was originally in the middle of the book.)

I've prattled on enough *stops*.

I think this could be it?http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nail-Your-Novel-Writers-Confidence-ebook/dp/B004LROOEQ
    Looks good anyway
    Yes, that is the one. During a recent time-wasting exercise on amazon, I believe she has others about character too....though I could be thinking of another writer.

• Nope, at the bottom of that page there are TWO more, one about plot and another about character. Something I will be investing in, in time.
  • Hello Jen,

I thought I would say "hello" and see how you are a year later? How are you getting on?

Commenting on your original post, reading lots of "how to" books on writing won't write the novel for you. You really need to have a good idea that will sustain you for 6 or 9 months. So what do you care about? What are you passionate about?

I would like to hear about the ideas you have for your novel(s). Maybe we can help?

I would like to add is if you read a favourite novel, not for pleasure, but to do a critical analysis. How is the plot driven? what are the characters doing through the story? Where is the conflict? Think about the descriptions? Re-read passages of dialogue and work out how the author creates conflict and drama.

I have a book called "The Weekend novelist" which explains how to make structural changes in redrafting a novel and the example the author uses is "Emma" (Jane Austen).
  • Hello Jen,

I thought I would say "hello" and see how you are a year later? How are you getting on?

Commenting on your original post, reading lots of "how to" books on writing won't write the novel for you. You really need to have a good idea that will sustain you for 6 or 9 months. So what do you care about? What are you passionate about?

I would like to hear about the ideas you have for your novel(s). Maybe we can help?

I would like to add is if you read a favourite novel, not for pleasure, but to do a critical analysis. How is the plot driven? what are the characters doing through the story? Where is the conflict? Think about the descriptions? Re-read passages of dialogue and work out how the author creates conflict and drama.

I have a book called "The Weekend novelist" which explains how to make structural changes in redrafting a novel and the example the author uses is "Emma" (Jane Austen).
    Wow, did I really write that a year ago! I can't even remember.
    I feel ashamed to admit I haven't started a novel yet. I have got a novel workbook and I have a few ideas and things written down. I'm going to get some research done and I've got more planning to do.

But it's not all bad, I hope. I'm on track with my writing now as I have been reading this book the positively productive writer -had it for a while but only just got around to reading it properly just these last few days funnily enough-and it's encouraged me to set goals. I realise now how unproductive I am and work and my mindset is my excuse- whether genuine or not. Or imagined or not.

I've just written the start of a new short story and about to work on a redraft of one I was hoping to finish this week but between having more works hours during half term, cold, headaches I didn't get it done.

I wish I could look back and see what I was doing last year, I did send one story off but I don't think I finished any. I feel bad but I'm hoping I'm going to finally turn it all around and this time next year if the novel is not finished it will a least be in progress.
    I think one way for me to keep writing my novel is to set a word count goal. Maybe all I need is goals to work towards as before I was writing whenever I had time and trying to finish stories and failing (mainly on rewrites). I always worry that I'll go through months of not writing for whatever reason and worry is what made me start this post.

Anyway, I feel like as usual I'm rambling, thanks for asking how it's going.
    I have a goal to have 10 short stories completely finished by the end of the year. I don't know if that's too much or too little. I haven't set a goal of when to finish my planning of my novel yet.
    It said in that book I'm reading about having someone ask you how you're writing is going and if you've reached your goals... Then you comment on this thread from last yr, coincidence. I really wish I could say this is how much writing I've done. My biggest failure is that I've wanted to write since I was very young, but I've never been very productive.
    I'm going to change that!
  • I'll have to find whoever recommended the book 'The Positively Productive Writer' and thank them
  • It's a good book but the typos were a little disappointing.
  • It's a good book but the typos were a little disappointing.
    Yeah, I noticed the typos. Doesn't look good but the advice is good
  • Jen,

1 short story every five weeks sounds reasonable (assuming you started at the beginning of January otherwise maybe 6 or 8).

I think psychologically budding novelists think the end is so far away it is too daunting to even start and that is the difficulty. I think you need enough subplots and ideas to keep a story going for 400 pages and that is the difficulty.

You say you have always wanted to write as have I so I understand but what do you think is blocking you?

• At the moment I've been sitting down to write more but can't seem to write anything.

I have all these stories that I've never finished and that's why I need the goals as I want to finish them. Last week I worked on this one story and I started a new one but this week I'm struggling. I thought I would've finished that redraft but I haven't and that story I thought was so good I have no idea where it's going. I guess it's normal I started writing more and now this week I've hit a wall.

It's the redrafts I can't stand i struggle so much. I was dreading sitting down to work on them and that's why I have a file full of unfinished stories. I've been working on this story and I just feel like it'll never get done and I start to think that it's terrible. I'm giving myself a break today as it's been getting me down that I'm stuck, maybe I need a breather. Then try again Friday when I'll have time next.

When it comes to novel writing I would get so far and get stuck. I know now I need to plan. But the other thing that is stopping me from writing my novel is this fear that it will be terrible. And that I will realise this and it will put me off writing. I think I've stopped writing stories and novels in the past as I didn't think I was good enough yet and I needed to practice more. But I haven't got any further thinking like that. Just regretful that I never finished anything. I will have to ignore the fear and the feeling that it's terrible and just do it. My first novel is only for me anyway so if I think that I won't be concerned if it turns out different than expected or terrible. (Or end up being too romantic as I don't know where it's going yet)

I've always been put off by this thought that I will wait until I'm older and my writing will be better (as a teen) or that I will write this particular story idea when i can do it justice. A local competition win boasted my confidence but i still question if I'm good enough.
    It's so much easier to talk about these things online, I'm hopeless at talking about problems etc face to face. Not that I have any writer friends to talk to.
    Thanks for helping me. :) I will learn from my mistakes. I feel like a complete fraud saying I'm a writer when I have nothing but a file or unfinished stories, not many completed and only recently started writing more. But I will get there
  • edited March 2017
    It sounds to me, Jen, that you hurtle off from the starting block, full of verve, but are unable to sustain the pace for the long haul.

As with any project, it can be broken down into small steps. I do think you need to think more about where your story is heading, i.e. the finishing point. Ultimately you want resolution, but you also want points of conflict along the way.

Why not write a list of simple sentences which will guide you through the shape of the story? Each sentence can then be expanded into scenes with dialogue and movement.

Taking Goldilocks and the Three Bears, for example:

Girl gets lost.
    Finds uninhabited (?) cottage.
    Discovers signs of ownership.
    Disturbs order.
    Owners return.
    Discover girl.

'Girl gets lost' can be expanded into the journey through the forest. We may find out a little about her personality, and her reasons for being there. Etc, etc...

In a short story/novel, there can be so much more detail, and meaningful relationships to explore.

As I tell my children, small steps can eventually take you to far away places.
  • At the moment I've been sitting down to write more but can't seem to write anything.
    Tough titties – keep trying!
    I have all these stories that I've never finished and that's why I need the goals as I want to finish them. Last week I worked on this one story and I started a new one but this week I'm struggling. I thought I would've finished that redraft but I haven't and that story I thought was so good I have no idea where it's going. I guess it's normal I started writing more and now this week I've hit a wall.
    The wall is in your mind, don’t focus on it. Just get your bum on a seat, fingers on keyboard, and write!
    It's the redrafts I can't stand i struggle so much. I was dreading sitting down to work on them and that's why I have a file full of unfinished stories. I've been working on this story and I just feel like it'll never get done and I start to think that it's terrible. I'm giving myself a break today as it's been getting me down that I'm stuck, maybe I need a breather. Then try again Friday when I'll have time next.
    This is where writer friends come in helpful. Find people who are willing to red pen your drafts. I don’t mean “this is good” or “maybe add a twist ending”, I mean someone who is willing to sit and really go through it. Return it with a metric f***tonne of red littering the pages – correcting spelling and grammar and questioning word choice, and pointing out when something is repetitive, or pointless, or impossible to understand. You need to get used to receiving and giving this brutal advice and not take it to heart. Learn to love seeing a draft COVERED in red. It really helps.
    When it comes to novel writing I would get so far and get stuck.
    It happens…to EVERYONE. Just keep at it, find ways that work better for you even if they seem silly. Write short stories, edit for others, read out of your field – it all helps the writing come easier. Try to keep it fun rather than a deadly serious calling otherwise you’re always going to find an excuse not to finish.
    I know now I need to plan.
    Maybe, maybe not. Do what works for you and for whatever story you’re working on at the time.
    But the other thing that is stopping me from writing my novel is this fear that it will be terrible. And that I will realise this and it will put me off writing. I think I've stopped writing stories and novels in the past as I didn't think I was good enough yet and I needed to practice more. But I haven't got any further thinking like that. Just regretful that I never finished anything. I will have to ignore the fear and the feeling that it's terrible and just do it. My first novel is only for me anyway so if I think that I won't be concerned if it turns out different than expected or terrible. (Or end up being too romantic as I don't know where it's going yet)
    Stopping writing a story to practice more? Practice what? Writing stories? You see how silly that sounds when someone else spells it out for you :P Finishing the story IS practice.
    I've always been put off by this thought that I will wait until I'm older and my writing will be better (as a teen) or that I will write this particular story idea when i can do it justice. A local competition win boasted my confidence but i still question if I'm good enough.
    This is true to a certain extent. You will always be learning, always be growing. The story you write today will not be the same as the story you write next year, and sure you’ll learn a couple of tricks along the way. But that doesn’t mean what you write now is bad, or that what you write in a year’s time will be any better. Keep on trucking and you’ll find your way.
    It's so much easier to talk about these things online, I'm hopeless at talking about problems etc face to face. Not that I have any writer friends to talk to.
    You have us lot, and you’d be surprised how easy it is to make more writer friends. We’re a friendly bunch and if you find the right bunch, there’s no worries about competition or backstabbing or drama. Keep looking, keep talking, keep helping others where you can. You always have something to offer.
    Thanks for helping me. I will learn from my mistakes.
    Keep on asking for help. Keep on making mistakes.
    I feel like a complete fraud saying I'm a writer when I have nothing but a file or unfinished stories, not many completed and only recently started writing more.
    Then don’t call yourself a writer. You can still write without a label dangling over your head for others to see. You’re doing this for you and you alone…at least for now. Don’t get caught up in the nonsense of it – just write for you.
    But I will get there
    Exactly!

P.S Homework for today – send me something to red pen. Anything, whether it’s finished or not. You’d be surprised how receiving a bordering on cruel critique can inspire you to fiddle and edit and WRITE! :)
  • Phwooar!

Wish my writing tutor had been a disciplinary like you, BR.

• edited March 2017
    What he ^ said.
    If you spend all your time wondering what other people will think of your work, you'll back yourself into a cave and pull up a big rock to close off the entrance. Write for yourself. Write for your characters and for the plot. Write because you want to say what's in your head.
    Don't call yourself a writer: there are millions of those. You're Jen, and there's only one of you.
    Nothing you write is ever wasted. It's all a learning curve - and we all go on learning every time we put a word on a page. Otherwise we'd write the same thing over and over again.
    Never imagine that professionals just sit down and churn out perfect prose and gripping yarns and don't stop to tear up the page or press delete, and to pull their hair out, because everyone does that. We're all only human. The difference is they don't give up. They believe in what they want to do enough to make themselves write a line, or a hundred words, or a bit of dialogue, when the urge is to curl up into a ball and hide.
    Send some of your stuff to BR - he's offered, and he'll be honest with you. Do your homework, as ordered!
  • JenJen
    edited March 2017
    Thanks for the advice. And the kick! Sorry if I was whiny or anything, I've been feeling a bit rubbish at the moment (minor life stuff) and I sometimes don't realise how rubbish I sound.
    Will be taking all this advice on! And I won't whine again :)
  • Brilliant post, BR!! I might even copy and paste it into my 'writing tips' folder. :-B
  • I feel motivated just reading it!
  • Br and mrs bear, what woild we do without you to kick us up the bum?
  • edited March 2017
    Lizy, try laying a rake on the ground then stamp on the end of it

It may not kick you up the bum but the effect of it's impact on your noddle may set off similar sensations

It works for me

*staggers off with stars and tweeting birdies encircling my head*