Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Having a public profile

edited January 2016 in Writing
Hi all,

I'm currently polishing up my MS for a non-fiction book that will fall into the parenting genre, sort of a funny (I hope) How To book (I'll make the actual proposal sound better, I swear).

Anyway, my research shows that similar books in that genre seem to be by authors who have already had success on their subject with a blog/newspaper column (or be a celebrity!) and have a large following. I also read an interview recently with an agent who said she checks out a potential authors on-line presence to see how popular they are.

I had a blog for many years, but I didn't really enjoy it and the only things I did like to blog about occasionally had no relevance to my MS. I came to resent it and felt my time was better served working on my writing projects. (The fact I had very little followers did nothing to encourage me to keep it going either!)

I'm confident my MS takes on a different spin of my subject. Do I have to have an on-line presence before submitting it to agents in a few months? This is the route I'd like to try first. I use Twitter and Instagram a bit but that's about the extent of my contribution to social media!

Thanks!

Comments

• It would certainly help if you had an Author Page on Facebook and a Twitter profile with the same core content. If you can generate a fan-base now, it will help with your future promotions, something publishers and agents look for.

You need to demonstrate that there is interest in you and the book's subject. Those statistics should be included in your pitch.
  • I agree. Authors are expected to have some kind of online presence.

On Twitter and Facebook you could follow lots of people who post about your subject matter and share/retweet anything you find interesting or useful as a way to provide information without doing too much yourself.

• And adding to my comment, I'd say that even if you are unsuccessful with an agent/publisher, if you have a strong following in place, you could consider self-publishing. The marketing work involved is the same for either route.
  • Yes, it's important you have some social media presence. A number of authors have said it's important.

It's good you've got Twitter and Instagram, but you might want to create a basic website too.

Are you on Mumsnet and NetMums?
  • I often jest that no one will come knocking on your door, asking if you've written a book. You have to self-promote. I have a client who shared a blog via Mumsnet. We turned it into a book and it's doing really, really well.
  • edited January 2016
    The problem I've found with Mumsnet/Netmums or similar parenting forums in the past is that to be part of the 'community' you need to be actively involved in discussions, so I worry that to pitch up and self promote would leave me unpopular and have my posts ignored. TBH it's a drain on my time to read the threads and comment unless I'm reasonably interested on the topic.

I've failed dismally with self promotion with my Etsy shop via social media, which discourages me with an author profile. I wish so much didn't hinge on social media, I bloody hate Facebook too, there are too many opinionated idjits!
  • If you have an Author Facebook page, just for your author-y things, opinionated idiots do not post - at least, not on mine they don't!

• Karen, I was thinking more along the lines of seeing what are the popular areas, types of views and take that subject as a starting point for a blog post.

Follow a few bloggers who talk around family related topics- I know from comping there are quite a few. And build from there as many bloggers do.
  • edited January 2016
    You're right, Karen. You need to engage with the community and then your promotion will ease in.

If you don't engage you can't expect people to spend money on your book. You spend time in the community, they spend their money.

If you can't do that then you need to consider what you're about. If you can't be enthused to engage, are you really that confident in your product? Even if you employed a PR company, i.e. Cameron, you still need to engage. I have clients who have used Cameron but they have still needed to get out there and engage.

http://www.cameronpm.co.uk/

In an ideal world you would have begun your marketing when your book was in its first draft.
  • The problem I've found with Mumsnet/Netmums or similar parenting forums in the past is that to be part of the 'community' you need to be actively involved in discussions, so I worry that to pitch up and self promote would leave me unpopular and have my posts ignored. TBH it's a drain on my time to read the threads and comment unless I'm reasonably interested on the topic.

I've failed dismally with self promotion with my Etsy shop via social media, which discourages me with an author profile. I wish so much didn't hinge on social media, I bloody hate Facebook too, there are too many opinionated idjits!
    I've not finished reading through all the comments, but I have important input here. I am a 'member' of both those groups. I contribute less to those than I do here, simply because I don't have time, and my personal circumstances with my children make it really difficult to engage with 'normal' parents. BUT (of course, there is a but!) I know from my browsing on Mumsnet that they have a board for those pursuing creative writing! I don't remember where it is, but as you obviously have the desire to write creatively, perhaps this is a good starting point into the world of MN? I think out of the 2, MN is the better forum too! They are educated, normal parents, who do what is best for their kids and laugh in the face of the health visitors when they are told not to feed rusks to their kids. Good Luck! May I ask what your book will be about exactly? I am still searching for my perfect parenting book (I have a couple that have come close!) so I may buy it :)
  • Don't rusks stick between the teeth and contain 90% sugar on very soft not formed properly enamel?
  • Don't rusks stick between the teeth and contain 90% sugar on very soft not formed properly enamel?
    Now is not the time for that discussion, Liz.

:-\"
  • I've no idea. Neither of my two have had rusks, for the simple fact they have never had solids made for babies. But my eldest has a very severely restricted diet, very little in the way of sugar, and he has prescription toothpaste. Our daughter eats anything and everything, including sweets, and the dentist said she has amazing teeth and are obviously looked after. I have always been a believer in being sensible. Our kids have very strict hygiene rules, and whilst sweets are allowed, they don't have them all the time.

I do find it funny though, when the dentist tells me to keep an eye on my boys sugar intake and fizzy drinks and fruit juices. It is everything not to laugh in her face. They are fully aware of his restrictive diet, and he does not have anything that they say to restrict. I think the teeth problems are aassociated to his overall condition, though he hasn't been formally diagnosed with the second one - as they won't listen! I shan't go on, it took us six years to get the first diagnosis, I need a break before the next fight! There are so many factors in stuff like that, just saying 'don't give rusks' is silly in my opinion!
  • As Carol said, this isn't the thread for rusks etc.
  • Joining a forum or discussion just to promote is generally a bad idea and will get you ignored or even banned. Joining to take part, find out what interests people and let them know you exist - and when appropriate let them know you write on the subject - is different.
  • Actually it's like that here. If an existing member announces they have a book out we'll be pleased for them, will probably click the link and might well buy it if it seems interesting. On the other hand, joining and making a first post of 'buy my book' won't get a positive response.
  • You don't have to comment on everything either. Like here there are sections so you can become a part without spending all your time there.
  • We've commented as much on many a person's thread who has opened about their book when they have just joined. But if there is actually a creative writing thread on Mumsnet that seems a good place to go - what I meant was it doesn't really matter what people think of rusks on either forum, the writing bit is what you are going for, you are just as likely to meet someone here who agrees/doesn't agree with any advice. And people who don't understand you!
  • I think the other way to look at it is to view it as work. Schedule time once or twice a week to be an active member of an appropriate community. You don't have to read every single thread. When I am on MN, sometimes I go onto the SEN board, but generally I go onto the General Chat. If you have a particular area of interest, be an active member of that section. MummySocial is also another group, however I'm not sure it would be appropriate for you. I don't know your circumstances though, so have a nosey!

It is not taking you away from your work, it will enrich it.
  • I find the ones I do as 'work' tend to fall away, and the ones I d as work and fun stay... but do take up too much time. i'm not good without a deadline, when I can move heaven and earth.

But the bottom line is - no publisher has time to advertise your book and with thousands being published every single day you need to advertise yourself or sink into the masses without trace - and as a lot of your work has gone into every word, and every book from then on will depend on the sales of this one, you need to get out there and swallow the bullet.
  • Can I ask the question that has yet to be asked: How interested are you in the area you are writing about? If you enjoy discussing things on the topic, it should be enjoyable, as Liz pointed out above. Maybe use it as a reward for completing x amount of words. I think one thing you will get from the answers on this thread is that engaging is a must. You have to figure out how best to do it.
  • I feel for you, Karen. The idea of building an on-line presence via blogs and facebook and twitter has always been anathema to me - and it never mattered while I was writing as a freelance travel writer and dipping my toes in the world of short fiction.
    However, since I began to seriously consider attempting to write my Fiji memoirs, I realised that I would have to bite the bullet and start work on gaining a following. I knew that if I didn't, then I would be writing the book for myself only!
    I started a blog last year, which I do enjoy writing and whilst my following is still very modest, it's a start.
    So - you're going to have to make some hard decisions if you want your book to succeed I'm afraid.

• I do think a parenting blog would be something a publisher would look for if you are writing a parenting book, and they may be surprised if you don't have one.
  • I'm so pleased with all of the wonderful feedback and suggestions, thank you all so much for replying, it means a great deal.

I realise I made myself sound completely uninterested in my topic! What I meant by not being interested in a topic, is the kind of threads where parents end up having a mad rant about something daft! I love my topic (twins!) and can talk no end on the matter. Perhaps I'll give the MN/NM multiple birth forums a try. You've given me lots to think about, I feel quite positive about trying things out.

The problem with blogging, is that while I do like communicating with like minded folks and sharing, I don't like my family and friends reading it! I'm fine if they read something I've had published in a magazine, but I get really embarrassed if someone says "I read your blog" to me. I worry they must think I'm trying to make out that my life and family is sooo amazing etc. I don't get along well with my sister either and she's made some snide remarks, which has made me really self conscious. But like I said, I don't mind strangers reading my stuff at all.

Maybe I will re-activate my blog then... perhaps anyone with 5 minutes spare could have a wee look at it and tell me what you think? I made it private a few months ago after one of my freelance clients said he'd found it and I was utterly mortified!
  • Why not use a pen name? That way you don't have to share it with anyone who knows you – until you have more confidence in its content. You do need to develop a writer's skin about others reading your words.
  • Agree, use a pen name for the blog if it's going to create work issues, and for a profile picture get an illustration of a harassed mum, or something representative of your blog subject if you don't want to use a picture of yourself.

But be proud someone has read your blog, thank them and ask them if there is something they're particularly interested in, or would like to see on your blog.

I wish I'd had blogs I could have read when I had the triplets.

There are a lot of twins born and there are so many everyday issues that result from having multiples; from simple things to complex things like, should you keep them together in the same class or have them in separate classes when they go to school.

Be confident on the surface even if you aren't inside.
  • I agree with BB and Carol about a pen name. It sounds as though you have a product that already has a target market so you should be seeking out those people. I also agree with comments by members about enthusiasm. This is so important and I'm getting the impression your 'real' persona is hindering you. I think you might find it quite liberating to write as someone your family don't recognise.

If you wrote this book to help mums who have been in your position, you must seek them out and tell them you have loads of tips to help them! :)

Best of luck

marion
  • Bic - that's a pretty good pen name...I'll get my coat...
  • You don't even have to state an opinion or give advice - you can ask questions - such as Carol's, above, what are your opinions on whether you should keep your twins/triplets, multiples in one class, and give some alternative thoughts. then you aren't even giving your opinion, which can't be criticised.
  • Staying out of mad online rants is a good idea. You can't win those and you'll lose friends on both sides.

• Thanks again for all of your lovely advice. I've decided to revive my blog, deleting anything too cringeworthy and making sure the remaining content shows my voice and interests. I did intend to write short 'how-to' posts last year but lost the confidence to carry on, but will try again. I've decided to continue using my real name instead of a pen name.

Do you think I should post snippets on my blog from my 'Twins' non-fiction manuscript that I'm writing, to try and gain interest? This is my blog if anyone wants to proffer an opinion (or should I put it on the blog updates thread?). Be gentle.

https://karenwalkauthor.wordpress.com/

Also, is there a TB Facebook group I can join? I've set up a writer's page there too... there's a link on the blog if anyone wants to take pity and like my new page... I have a grand total of zero likes so far! Will seek out some of you lovely folks too (in the most non-stalker way possible, of course...)
  • I like it. Friendly, clean, unfussy, but also beautiful.
  • It looks lovely, Karen. Fresh, heartwarming pictures and clear text.
  • I love it. Those images are stunning.
  • Thanks guys :) I'm working on some new posts so will start dropping links in the other Blog Updates thread soon.
  • Your blog looks great, Karen. I shall look forward to those links on the blog updates thread!
  • Looks great! Clean, attractive and professional. Is it a parenting blog or an author blog though? URL says author but header suggests parenting.
  • It does look good and your kids sound adorable. There are lots of ways of engaging between laser-eyed, sharp-elbowed, pain in the arse; and authentic. It takes a long time but if you can find your tribe and engage authentically it should work for you and for them. I haven't cracked it yet, but in my head that's what I aim for.
  • It's a really great blog. The pictures look great as well.
  • Thanks for the kind feedback... Lou, it's kind of both an author and parenting blog for now. I want a place to show my writing 'clippings' plus a place to write short pieces when I'm feeling inspired by something my children have said or done, or to share my photography.

I've set up a Facebook 'Writer' page too, and am following other pages there that share my interests and leave comments. There's a handful of popular family writers/bloggers that I enjoy reading and post similar things to me, so I'm engaging with those pages and might hopefully hook other readers to me, plus I've joined some twin pages to interact there and offer advice to other twin mums. I have a whopping 9 whole likes so far!