Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Performing Rites

edited February 2016 in Writing
Having written some short plays and monologues, a local group would like to perform them. I have been asked to say how much I would wish to be paid for them to be performed. Any advice? A new field for me.

Comments

• edited February 2016
    For the second year running, my daughter is directing a production at university and she had to apply for rights. I think they were something like £150 - but that was for well-known plays by established playwrights, so I would suggest a lot less!

I imagine that an amdram group won't have much in the coffers.

Could you ask for a small % of the takings???
  • Lou Treleaven would be the one to ask. You could message her.
  • Local amdram can afford to pay for the rights to a play. Easily. OH's always makes a huge profit - they write their own usually but have bought plays, you can buy from websites or apply to the publisher of the play.

Imagine - most halls take 100 people. Even if they only charge £8 a ticket that's £800 a night, they usually go over Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Saturday afternoon if it's ok for children.
  • LizLiz
    edited February 2016
    When i say huge profit, they get enough to hire the hall for all the rehearsals, pay for materials if needed for costumes and props, paint for the scenery, pay for the play if needed, etc. etc. Lights which have to be hired and someone to operate them.

Then they have a paying bar for the interval, which brings in more. If that is run by the amdram it's a considerable amount of money raised - but OH's lets a charity run it. Then there is the raffle, also in our case usually for a hospice, but this can also go towards funds.

At the end they have money left over for the kitty to start again next time and enough to give to another village charity.

Please don't feel sorry for village or any groups of amdrams.
  • Hi NH. How long are the short plays? I get £5 per performance for my 5-10 min plays and for my full length one around 30 a night but a large proportion of that goes to the supplier. Hope that helps. Very exciting - ask for tickets too as watching them being performed is very useful.
  • Thank you Tiny Nell, Liz and Lou. You've given me some pointers that I hadn't considered.