Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Can I turn grey font to black?

edited February 2016 in Writing
When searching on Google the font is so pale I have to press my nose to the screen to read it (almost!)

I have Windows 8 - is there any way I can turn the font darker? I've Googled the question and got nowhere.

How can I search the internet for an agent if I can't read the damn thing?

Comments

• What browser are you using?
  • Try DuckDuckgo. Just Google it, and set it as your default server. It doesn't 'follow' you like Google so no advertising. See if it's better. It's certainly as effective as a search engine.
  • LizLiz
    edited February 2016
    Also, if you use Chrome as a browser, they will support you by allowing all sorts of colour changes:

Accessibility: Low-Vision Support
    We believe that Chrome should provide a complete and satisfying experience to users who have low vision. Here are three of the most common needs, and how they can currently be addressed in Chrome.

Contents
    1 Full Page Zoom
    2 Adjusting Font Face and Size
    3 High Contrast and Custom Color Support
  • What browser are you using?
    Google Chrome, I think. The one with a green red and yellow circle.
  • Yes it is.

Liz's info will hopefully work.
  • You could also try Everyclick.com - it's powered by Yahoo but it raises money for charities (you can either nominate one yourself or let the pennies your searches raise go into a 'pool' that gets divided up between them all). On searches, the titles are blue and the site descriptions are black. The actual links are green and fairly small, but see what you think.

I try to use it in preference to Google and over the last few years I've raised nearly £80 for ReMap, a charity that helps people with disabilities live more independent lives.

• I tried Liz's info but all it seems to offer is reversing the black and white so I'd have white text on a black background.
  • On the button I click to shut down the computer (bottom left corner), there is a 'Settings' option where you can change the appearance of what you see on the computer. A lot came up so I haven't searched properly, but that might have a default setting. I think that was where I made my screen less bright once.
  • I've had a look at Duck Duck go and it, too, has the details of sites in grey.
  • I've just had a look at the RNIB website and it, too is in grey. I think the answer has to be finding your brightness control and adjusting the contrast on your computer.
  • I did that ages ago, Liz, so the brightness wasn't dazzling, but even on TB the font is grey as I type, only turning to black once it's posted.
    You'd think all these sites would make allowances to reduce eyestrain, wouldn't you?
    Oh well - if there's no way of doing it I shall have to suffer, but it cuts down severly my ability to use the computer.
  • I use Chrome and my comments are in black - before they're posted. Is it your screen?
  • I wondered that. Liz, have you adjusted the size you see everything at? That is my main issue. I have my browser zoomed in to as big as it will go. On chrome you'll find that in 'Advanced settings'.

I find even when grey it's easy to read if very large.

My comments here though, as I write them, are in black, not grey.
  • I've adjusted the size. This comment I'm typing now isn't as pale as the bit below that says 'Back to Discussions' but it's paler than Liz's comment above, and will turn darker when I post it.
    My daughter suggested last night that I copy any agent details from t'internet onto a Word doc and then rpint them big and bold. I might have to do that, as all the forums to which my original query took me haven't come up with any other solutions